A Yummy Vegetarian Soup Recipe for the College Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you hate cooking! However, it’s important to have a couple of recipes in your arsenal that are easy, cheap and healthy for when you have ordered Chinese take-out three times in one week already. Here is my recipe for a yummy vegetarian soup! It is high in veggies (mom approved already), cheap, simple and can be made for as many people as you need!

What to Buy

Vegetable stock

Carrots

Potatoes

Celery

Green beans

Broccoli

Parsnips

Pasta (I recommend the tiny Pastina stars, but you do you)

Oh no! You hate parsnips? Don’t use them! Do you really love peppers? Put them in there! This is just a list of my ingredients, but you are welcome to substitute, remove and add as you please! You might notice that there are no amounts here, and that’s because you use what you feel is right. Are you feeding four people? You might want to buy two potatoes and a whole head of broccoli. Just feeding yourself? Maybe only one potato and a couple of broccoli florets. When in doubt, make more than you think you will need! This soup stays good (if you refrigerate it) for a couple days. I once fed ten college students with this soup. I used two whole boxes of vegetable broth! So just get what you feel is right.

Step 1

Wash your veggies. Don’t be gross.

Step 2

Cut your veggies. The smaller the veggies are, the faster they cook, so be aware of that. I recommend skinning your potatoes before you cut them.

Step 3

Put a pot of water with a little salt on the stove. You can have the burner on high to get the water boiling, but once the water is boiling add your washed and cut up veggies to the water and turn down the heat. You want it to be on medium-low heat or else the veggies will cook unevenly. You should also be watching this pot the whole time. Stir often! If you are making a big batch of this, you may need to do two rounds of cooking the veggies. To check if your veggies are cooked, taste test them! Once they are cooked (but not too squishy), take the pot off the burner and drain the water. Then set the veggies aside in a bowl or something. You’ll need them later.

Step 4

Make the pasta. You want your pasta to be al dente (so basically not too squishy) because you’ll be cooking it again. Drain the water once the pasta is cooked.

Step 5

Put the vegetables, pasta and vegetable broth into a pot on low heat. Use low heat! Stir as you let all the ingredients warm up. This is not to cook anything, this is just to warm everything up. Taste test to make sure that everything is warm and ready to be eaten!

Step 5

Eat the soup! Enjoy the soup! Love the soup!

Happy soup making!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.