Republic Records

What “Folklore” Song You Are Based on Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Over quarantine, the Folklore album became the soundtrack of my life. 

I, like so many other people, became hooked by Taylor Swift’s latest album, that so easily articulated the complexities of heartbreak, of evolving and growing, of love and life. I never really was a Taylor Swift fan before, but that all changed the minute the first song of the album rang through my ears. After months of the album on repeat, I finally have stopped listening to it every day and feel like I know it inside and out, enough to write about it. 

I’ve decided to combine two of my favorite things—Folklore and astrology—to create one impeccable mesh. Whatever sign you are, I hope you enjoy this article! 

“mirrorball,” Gemini

I have always said that Geminis are like mirrors, able to be friends with anybody because, like a mirror, they reflect the environment that is around them: “I’ll show you every version of yourself tonight.” Geminis are witty, social, and “shimmering beautiful” like a mirrorball. They have the ability to light up any room and make others feel their infectious, sociable and bright energy that they channel out to the world. The world is Gemini’s oyster and they know it, too. 

Geminis are also one of the three air signs, AKA they are known for being spontaneous, curious, social and intellectual. And that’s definitely, “mirrorball,” exploring “the circus,” burning “the disco down,” “spinning in my highest heels” and “shining.”

Total Gemini energy. 

“the lakes,” Pisces

Pisces are known for being the dreamiest sign of the zodiac, romanticizing their lives (the song literally starts out with the words, “is it romantic how all my elegies eulogize me?”) and definitely imagining themselves as the main character, often creating their own, dream-like, reality. It’s a Pisces dream for someone to whisk them away, “to the lakes where all the poets went to die,” to be someone’s muse or have someone be their “muse,” and escape into an incandescent, magical life. 

Pisces often feel misunderstood in their quiet, artistic, beautiful minds, and the line, “I’m not cut out for all these cynical clones / these hunters with cell phones” definitely speaks to Pisces wish for reality to be more dream-like and kind, just like empathetic Pisces themselves. They also are the gentlest of the three water signs and have a special connection to nature, making “the lakes” fit Pisces natural gravitation towards nature. 

Plus, this whole song is actual poetry, and Pisces lives for the art that is this song. I mean, come on: “I want auroras and sad prose / I want to watch wisteria grow / Right over my bare feet / ‘Cause I haven’t moved in years.” I want that literally tattooed on me. 

You’re not like the other girls, Pisces, and this song screams that energy.  

“the last great american dynasty,” Leo 

the last great american dynasty” radiates Leo energy. 

Leo is the sign that was born to be famous (with an unusually high number of celebrities being Leos, too), loves to be bold, the center of attention and does the badass, incredible, things that leaves you standing there in disbelief wondering how that just happened. 

The narrative of “the last great american dynasty”: a wedding, new money, tasteful parties, Rhode Island mansions, filling a pool with champagne and swimming with “the big names,” blowing money on the extraordinary, dying a dog “key lime green,” a badass “b**** pack friends from the city” and a loud, bold, incredible woman. This could only be the story of a Leo. The song is even based off of a real life icon who Swift bought her Rhode Island home from. Leo is also a fire sign, meaning they’re powerful, bold and adventurous energy is contagious to anyone who meets them. 

If it’s memorable, elegant, something that catches your attention and changes the game, then that’s definitely the mark of Lioness Leo. 

“exile,” Aquarius

Aquarius are known for being the most independent and unique sign of the zodiac, often making them feel alone or in existential “exile.” The slow, haunting melody of “exile” is perfect for melancholy yet adventurous Aquarius. 

Aquarius are known as one of the most intelligent, curious, signs of the zodiac—characteristic of an air sign—and this song almost feels like a thought process, reflecting on this “film [they’ve seen] before.” Aquarius also have no problem cutting you out of their life if they feel the energy is off or disrespected, allowing it to make perfect sense that they’re, “in exile seein’ you out … So I’m leavin’ out the side door” if you’ve wronged them.

“cardigan,” Capricorn 

This may be a controversial pick but, as a Capricorn myself, “cardigan” is 100 percent Capricorn vibes. 

Capricorns are similar to Aquarius in that they’re known to be one of the most intelligent and misunderstood signs in the zodiac. Aquarius and Capricorns can relate to the fact that “when you are young, they assume you know nothing” as growing up they are often misunderstood when, in fact, they’re usually very bright, mature and knowledgeable. The difference between the two, however, is that Capricorn is an Earth sign, meaning they’re chill, stable, reliable and the ones you go to when in crisis. 

“cardigan” is also super emo vibes, and that’s Capricorn to a T, as Capricorn is also known as one of the most emo, pessimistic and sarcastic signs. They’re major perfectionists and reserved, making “cardigan” the perfect fit as someone reminiscing on the past: “I knew you’d linger like a tattoo kiss / I knew you’d haunt all of my what-ifs.” 

Plus, “brand new phone / high heels on cobblestones …  sensual politics.” Capricorns are known as the most ambitious and hardest worker in the zodiac, almost always coming across as polished, dependable, and definitely could go into politics. The dark, blunt, vibes of “cardigan,” is no doubt a Capricorn anthem. 

“peace,” Taurus 

The calming, stable, vibes of “peace” give off some serious Taurus energy. 

Taurus, like Capricorn, is an Earth sign, giving off calming, solid and chill vibes off, just like “peace.” The animal representing the Taurus is a bull, which represents their, often stubborn, nature as Swift sings, “no, I could never give you peace / But I’m a fire, and I’ll keep your brittle heart warm.” While Tauruses don’t like to concede when they feel they are right, they will still always be there for you in times of need. 

Tauruses are also a sign that feel like home and are endlessly loyal, making the line, “But I would die for you in secret / The devil’s in the details, But you got a friend in me” characteristic of Taurus. 

Taurus is not necessarily the loudest sign, but it’s because they like to keep the peace even when they’re stubborn and think they’re right. The scenes of nature, the strength from their “fire [that] keep[s] your brittle heart warm” and the want to keep the peace and have everyone get along screams that iconic, calming Taurus energy. 

“illicit affairs,” Scorpio

Scorpios are one of the most intense, emotional signs of the zodiac, making “illicit affairs,” (one of my favorite and most emotional songs on the album) ring true of those dark, enticing, scandalous and witty articulate Scorpio vibes. 

Scorpios are naturally romantic—known to be heartbreakers—which echoes through the intensity of, “that’s the thing about illicit affairs / and clandestine meetings and longing stares / it’s born from just one single glance / but it dies, and it dies, and it dies / a million little times.” They can create beautifully dark and intense love stories with a dash of scandalous to create the perfect, whirlwind Scorpio-marked romance. The idea of an “illicit affair” is a Scorpio pipedream with “a dwindling, mercurial high / a drug that only worked / the first few hundred times,” reflecting that to a T. 

Yet, Scorpios like to have control over situations, making “don’t call me kid, Don’t call me baby / Look at this godforsaken mess that you made me / You showed me colors you know I can’t see with anyone else” ring true of a Scorpio trying to keep power in a relationship. Relationships are deeply and naturally intense for Scorpios, making Swift’s emotional chorus channel that. 

Ultimately, this bop is an emotional, artistic melody that any Scorpio could definitely channel and relate to. 

“august,” Libra

Next, we have the hopeless romantic and, by far, the flirtiest sign of the zodiac, Libra

august” has a poppy, romantic feel to it that immediately transports you to a summer daydream the minute listeners hear the intro: “salt air, and the rust on your door / I never needed anything more.” Libras have a tendency to hold onto past loves making, “but I can see us / Lost in the memory / August slipped away into a moment in time / ‘Cause it was never mine” ring true of a Libra reminiscing on old love stories. They also have a reputation of having good taste and a classy style with, “August sipped away Like a bottle of wine” ring even more true of Libra. 

Libra is also represented by the scales, judging the world through what is right and what is not, what is fair and what is not, and what is just and what is not. They are quick to fight for justice and get easily frustrated when these outcomes aren’t met, making, “for the hope of it all” and the constant repetition of that line at the end rings true because Libras are the type to fixate on things that ended badly or unfairly. 

One of the best songs on the album, literally transporting you back into a memory with it’s soft but striking melody, similar to soft yet striking Libra. 

“this is me trying,” Virgo

Our last Earth sign, Virgo, is similar to Capricorn in Taurus in having those chill, patient, hard-working and stable vibes. 

However, unlike Capricorn and Taurus, Virgos tend to be hyper-critical of themselves and work extremely hard to fit their ideals of perfection. This makes “this is me trying” a relatable track for Virgos, who often feel like they are trying super hard even if others don’t see it “this is [them] trying.”

Nonetheless, despite the message of the song, it still maintains a dreamy, calming tune similar to Virgos, who have the ability to ground other people and feel at peace, making this song the perfect Virgo bop. 

“my tears ricochet,” Cancer

Emotional, passionate Cancer, this song is irrefutably yours. 

From the very first line, “We gather here we line up / weepin’ in a sunlit room / And if I’m on fire / You’ll be made of ashes, too,” it is clear this is a song for a Cancer. Cancers are a water sign, making them extremely emotional either internally or externally. Yet, the word “ricochet” represents Cancer’s strength from their emotions, making a song about powerful tears only fitting for a Cancer. 

Cancers are also unwaveringly loyal, meaning it makes sense that a Cancer would feel defiantly upset and in pain over a broken relationship they were once loyal to, enough for their tears to ricochet and not having “it in myself to go with grace” and “drunk on this pain.” Cancers, while they may hold onto relationships, tend not to stay in situations where they are being disrespected: “Cursing my name / wishing I stayed / Look at how my tears ricochet.” 

Classic, Cancer. 

“the 1,” Sagittarius 

“I hit the ground running each night / I hit the Sunday matinee / You know the greatest films of all  time were never made” screams Sagittarius energy. 

Sagittarius’ are a passionate, fiery fire sign. They are known for being restless, constantly on the move and craving and seeking adventure. “the 1,” therefore, is a perfect song for Sagittarius because it isn’t a bitter energy; it’s more of a fun, adventurous energy of imagining “what ifs” and running with it. 

Sagittarius are also not ones to really get stuck on someone or have a hard time letting go. If you’re over them they’ll quickly get over you too, which is why a song with more of an upbeat, hopeful, tune where the protagonist of the song merely reminisces upon how “it would’ve been fun / if you would’ve been the one.” Sagittarius are extremely optimistic, love freedom and will give it to you like it is, making “the 1,” a perfect fit for that Sag energy. 

“mad woman,” Aries 

Last but not least we have our last fire sign, Aries, who can be perfectly defined by “mad woman!” 

“What did you think I’d say to that? / Does a scorpion sting when fighting back? / They strike to kill, and you know I will,” captures the fighter spirit of Aries. Aries tend to be extremely energetic, impulsive, direct and fiery. The character portrayed in “Mad Woman” undoubtedly fits this Aries profile. 

“Now I breathe flames each time I talk / My cannons all firin’ at your yacht … Doing your dirtiest work for you” perfectly reflects Aries fiery spirit. 

Whatever sign you are, I definitely recommend giving Folklore a listen!

Writer, Ted Talks curator, crisis-line volunteer. Probably writing, probably caffeinated.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!