This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

There are many misconceptions about the Black Lives Matter organization and its purpose. Here is a quick guide to the information you should know!  

The official Black Lives Matter organization was created by Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi in 2013 after Trayvon Martins’s murder.

These three powerful individuals took it upon themselves to make a bold statement regarding the police brutality that was (and still is) occurring. I recommend looking into who they are and all the incredible work they have and continue to accomplish. Even though they founded the organization, they are not the leaders. There are no official leaders of BLM as it is a citizen-led movement.

The main goal of Black Lives Matter is to demolish white supremacy and to create a system that intervenes and prevents violence against Black communities.

This does not mean “anti-white” or only Black lives matter, they are simply highlighting that we need to help save Black lives more than ever from violence and injustices against them that are occurring due specifically to their race

Black Lives Matter is an All-Inclusive organization.

This means that BLM supports all black folks including but limited to black trans people, queer people, women, people who have a disability, immigrants, etc. If you do not support one or more of these groups of people, you cannot claim you are a supporter of BLM.

Black Lives Matter is NOT other lives do not matter.

In fact, BLM fights for equality for all. The statement Black Lives Matter is used as an affirmation not only for Black people who may be feeling exhausted from having to justify why they deserve equal treatment but as a statement for those who think Black people do not deserve basic human rights like everyone else. Black Lives Matter is implying that there should be a “too” at the end due to the unfortunate fact that people tend to ignore that they do matter.

Black Lives Matter is about loving yourself and others.

When this movement was created, it started with a simple Facebook post from Alicia Garza, stating, “we don’t deserve to be killed with impunity. We need to love ourselves and fight for a world where Black lives matter. Black people, I love you. I love us. We matter. Our lives matter.” Alicia started this movement by creating a statement of love and unity for Black people everywhere. Reminding Black folks that no matter what supporters of Black Lives Matter are here, are listening and are fighting. 

I hope you found this list and the links included helpful. I created this to help those who weren’t sure of what the movement stood to get a better understanding of it. Remember, it is always important to do more research on your own to stay updated and educated on these pressing issues, especially with the upcoming election. 

Madison Centeno is a junior sociology and women's and gender studies major. When she isn't at protests or actively fighting for human rights, she is in her room studying or reading! She loves to write and share information about social injustices occurring worldwide. Follow her on Instagram @madisonrue190 to get to know her more!
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!