Top 5 Things I Learned about Myself During my Summer Trip to Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.
i love MUSEUMS

Before going to Chicago, going to museums was not something that I went out of my way to do. It was difficult for me to understand art and to always come up with an intellectual explanation for everything I saw. Yet, after going to every single museum I possibly could in Chicago, I learned that art is meant for the individuals eyes. There is no one way to understand/perceive an art piece and there is no need for a genius explanation for everything. It’s okay to just go to museums and love what you find the prettiest or the least complex. I now love going to museums and allowing myself to enjoy the art my way and my way only.

not to feel guilty about being happy

Being away from my family for over two months was something I had never done before. Even going away to college for the first time last year, I still was able to see them every once in a while and they were only a six-hour car drive away. Chicago felt different. I didn’t go for academic or work reasons, I simply went to enjoy my time with my partner and have a fun summer. It felt weird at first, as if I was somehow doing something wrong by not giving all my free time to my family, but I soon recognized that my free time was MY free time and no one else’s. If going away for that long and spending time with someone I cared about made me happy, then it’s what I had to do. Regardless of how it made anyone else feel.

All big cities are different

This one may seem a bit self explanatory but when you grow up in New York City, it could be hard to imagine that any other city is different. I mean, when you live in a big city it’s weird to think about how culture can be so different in other places just as big as yours. Chicago culture is significantly different from New York. In New York it’s common to be on the phone or talking loudly with a friend on a train. Yet, in Chicago I saw that rarely ever happened. Not to mention that hopping the turnstile and simply not paying fare is something that also doesn’t occur as often. It’s interesting to have to relearn certain things that you have grown so used to in order to acclimate in a new environment no matter how similar it seems.

I actually love to go outside

I was an incredibly bad homebody. Every summer, I would stay inside, not even go to the park or hang with friends. At home, it was as if every time I chose to go outside I would be questioned as to why I would ever want to do such a thing. Finally, this summer I got to separate myself from that and was able to explore being outside. Especially after being cooped up for so long during COVID, I got the chance to really go outside and find out what I like to do and what I don’t. My favorite thing to do outside this whole summer was sit somewhere outside but high up where I can just watch and listen to absolutely everything around me. The sounds of cars and people became therapeutic. Now, I can go outside whenever I feel like it and it won’t feel weird.

alone time is essential

As I mentioned above, during my time in Chicago I was temporarily living with my partner. This wasn’t always easy. What made it easiest was when we, everyday, took a little time to do our own thing. Whether it was watch a show in a separate room or even getting lunch by yourself, taking time with yourself is healthy for both parties. It also gave me the chance to do some of the exploring that allowed me to learn so much more about myself and my new interests.

Madison Centeno is a junior sociology and women's and gender studies major. When she isn't at protests or actively fighting for human rights, she is in her room studying or reading! She loves to write and share information about social injustices occurring worldwide. Follow her on Instagram @madisonrue190 to get to know her more!