Thinking of Giving Birth? Here’s the Cost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

You may not be considering having children now while in college, but it is often expected of people after college with pressure from parents, especially for women. I think this should be a careful choice that considers all options and possibilities. You should be certain you have the mental, physical and emotional capacity to take care of a child. You should be prepared to have a child of any sexuality, gender, disability, etc. If you feel you are not, you should be ready to learn. You should be open to different options such as adoption and of course, traditional childbirth. But did you know how much it costs to give birth in a hospital? 

Giving birth in a hospital can cost thousands of dollars, depending on whether you are having a vaginal delivery or a cesarean section. Considering everything that comes with pregnancy such as ultrasounds, check-ups and any complications, the price could be $30,000 or more. This article advises people considering giving birth to consult their doctor and insurance company about the cost they may be facing. 

Depending on the state or country, not everyone has a choice whether or not they give birth. They may be forced to based on laws and/or pressure from the people surrounding them. Generally, it is expected that women will one day give birth, even if they claim that they do not want to and will never want to when they are young. 

In an ideal world, one would have more choice in the process of having biological children. If they get to a point in their life where this seems like a possibility, they should make an informed decision. This may be far-fetched, but my hope for the world is that people will one day have more control over their bodies on a systematic level, and not have to pay for things such as “skin to skin contact.”

This is all part of the hospital business that wants to overcharge its patients. It essentially booted midwives out of being the norm. People used to trust midwives with delivering their babies, but now it seems as though the only option is through a hospital. I would like to encourage people to look at all the options and their risks, even options that do not involve giving birth but still wanting children. 

There is also fostering and of course, adopting, which certainly still makes someone a “real” parent. Having a baby come out of a vagina and paying someone $10,000 is not what makes someone a parent. Taking the time to care for and love your child is what makes someone a parent. 

This may not be something a college student is thinking about now; it may feel like a “someday” or it may be never. Regardless, it is an important start to a conversation about the overpricing in hospitals, especially for something that is seen as essential to nearly anyone’s life. I hope people make a decision when they are ready and do their own research.

Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.