This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

On Sept. 26, the Internet broke once it was revealed that Jennifer Lope and Shakira would be performing at Super Bowl LIV halftime-show. Both singers posted on their social media pages the date of the Super Bowl (Feb. 2, 2020) with captions telling viewers to be prepared for what it is to come.

I first heard the news with several friends at The Lamron meeting, where one of them posed the question ‘what songs should they sing at the Super Bowl’ for the inquiring photographer section of the newspaper. So, I decided to answer this question with my own list of songs that these powerful ladies should most definitely sing during their halftime performance. I believe these songs would work perfectly as mashups so that the parts that feature other artists don’t have to be sung.

Warning—most of these songs will be extremely popular, but I think that’s the point of the halftime show.

“Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira

This song is the song that all people think about when someone says Shakira. It gets everyone up and moving. The way that Lopez and Shakira move their bodies, this could certainly be a great dance number.

“On the Floor” by Jennifer Lopez

This is another song that will get the crowd dancing. Lopez literally tells her listeners to get up and dance. If this beat can’t get the crowd going, I’m not sure what would.

“Loca” by Shakira

“Loca” is another song that gets me on my feet. While I do love the Spanish version, the English version is the only one I know. It’s a simple song with a catchy beat. I think it could get the viewers feeling loco.

“Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez

This song would be a perfect opener to what would be a killer performance. It is a powerful anthem with a great melody telling listeners to live their life.

“Chantaje” by Shakira

While this song is best in Spanish, I think this could be a powerful duet with both of the women breaking out their Spanish.

“Papi” by Jennifer Lopez

This song has a great beat and mix in addition to some killer lyrics about dancing and owning your body. Bonus, this music video is also really amazing.

“Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera

Okay, hear me out. Every great Super Bowl performance usually has a great power ballad. So, if they could get the rights to the song, I think this would be an incredible song. It would work for both of their voices, it has an amazing message and it still has a beautiful melody.

Shakira and J. Lo are two strong women who own their bodies, so not only will there be some powerhouse vocals, hopefully it will be a memorable performance.

Honestly, they could sing the phone book and I would be impressed.

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.