This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

New Year’s resolutions have never really been my thing. For 19 years now I’ve watched as friends and family declared their resolutions, then lose sight of them in a matter of days. Scared that I would fall into that same rabbit hole, I’ve gone my entire life neglecting that new year tradition. Last year, things were quite strange and I (as well as the rest of the world) was thrust into new, uncharted territory. So, in the spirit of trying new things, I decided I would make a few small, attainable changes that would help improve my day-to-day life.

Stop bringing my phone to the bathroom

I hate to admit it, but I’m a very phone-dependent person. I like to think it’s because I’m a social person, but let’s be honest; we’re all glued inherently to our devices. Because of this, I thought it would be a good idea to set aside some time where I’m not on my phone … even if it’s just while I go to the bathroom. 

Avoid the drive-thru

Last year, I ate a lot of fast food. I usually worked nights at a grocery store, so drive-thrus made it easy and convenient to pick up something quick and eat it on the drive back. Sure, this was a good discovery the first couple of times I did it, but it eventually turned into a habit and I was going to the drive-thru like three nights a week. I told myself that because I was only getting a 5 for $5, the charge wouldn’t have that much effect on my bank account, but I was spending upwards of $50 a month that I could have been putting somewhere else! 

Drink way more water

Drinking water is so important, let me tell you that. As someone who has kidney issues because they don’t drink enough water, make sure you’re drinking enough!! I usually try and drink a full glass of water in the morning and then have a few bottles during the day! This has also helped clear my skin!

Develop a skincare regimen

This is my favorite thing that I have implemented into my daily routine. I honestly look forward to washing my face at night and putting on my serums and creams, there’s just something so luxurious about it! Not to mention (knock on wood), I haven’t seen any big breakouts in the past couple of weeks! If you’re interested in skincare I’d recommend Cerave! They’re a dermatologist-recommended skincare brand and on the affordable side of things!

It seems that with every new year, there’s this mounting pressure to have a great, well-thought-out resolution. Sometimes, it’s best to just focus on small things and put yourself first!

Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!