This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Welcome! I am back with seven more book recommendations for you to add to your bookshelves! I love all these books with my whole heart and I hope you will enjoy them too!

Project Hail Mary- Andy Weir

I now present the best book that I read this January. Project Hail Mary is a novel following a man who wakes up on a spacecraft with no memory of who he is or how he got there.

I know this is a brief description but I really think this is one of those books that you should go into not knowing anything about it. It will take you through so many surprises and a backstory that really is anything but what I imagined. Weir’s writing perfectly blends comedy with technical explanations of the science fiction happening in the story. The characters are extremely lovable and the suspenseful storyline will keep you entertained until the very end. If you like Andy Weir’s The Martian, I would highly recommend this book as your next read. I can’t wait to reread this in the future.

The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus is my current read and I am absolutely obsessed. This story follows two magicians, Celia and Marco, who are in a fated duel with each other in a circus that comes and goes as it pleases. The circus is a magical event that anyone can attend, but it only is open through the night.

This is the first novel I have read that may be slow-paced, but I never want to put it down. It’s an addicting read that will keep you entertained on each page. For some reason this book also gives me an intense sense of nostalgia. It makes me feel the way I did when I first started reading back when I was like eleven. It’s been a while since I have read a book like this and I highly recommend.

A Man called Ove- Fredrik Backman

If you want a reason to cry, look no farther than A Man Called Ove. This novel constructs a beautiful story about a man named Ove who is seemingly grumpy, antisocial and has a bleak outlook on life.

I know this an incredibly brief description but this another novel I think you should go into without any prior knowledge. I will tell you though, I have never cried harder at book than this one. There’s photo evidence—and it’s not pretty. It was kind of a mixture of a happy and a sad cry. Very bittersweet. Anyways, if you want to get emotional, read this book.

Tender is the flesh- Agustina bazterrica

This book comes with pretty much every content warning I can give so please be aware of that if you decide to pick up this book.

I picked Tender Is The Flesh up as my Halloween read and I was not disappointed. This novel follows a dystopian world where animals posses a deadly disease that causes humans to be unable to eat meat anymore. In this world, they have turned to breeding humans as their source of meat. This main character works at a human processing plant and we follow him on his journey grappling with the world that he currently lives in.

I almost didn’t finish this book. It was so utterly disgusting, but I am still recommending it because I think the writing was incredible and the book had one of my favorite endings that I’ve ever read. I had to go back and read it multiple times before I fully understood it, and it blew my mind. The world in this novel is very well built and you truly get a feeling for how messed up of a situation that our characters are in.

Jurassic Park- Michael crichton

I had to put a modern classic on here since it’s one of my favorite genres. Last year, I read Jurassic Park for the first time and I loved it. I’m sure you all know the story but just to recap, this novel follows two paleontologists as they are recruited to work on Jurassic Park, an amusement park with live dinosaurs. As you can expect, chaos ensues.

This novel is what made me fall in love with Michael Crichton’s writing. He writes science fiction with such vigor behind it, it’s not hard to start believing his fiction could become fact. Compared to the movie, I like the book ending much better and I can’t wait to start reading The Lost World. I think this book works perfectly if you’re looking for something and quick and exciting to read.

The Radium Girls- Kate Moore

I had to include one nonfiction book on here, and one of my favorites is The Radium Girls. This book tells the story of the many women who were poisoned and passed away due to painting objects with radium. Many of them had jobs painting watched for soldiers that would glow in the dark, due to the radium. The book follows a select group of girls from when they were first hired to the devastating after-effects of using a poisonous substance for all these years.

This novel is as informative as it is heartbreaking. Watching these women get denied justice for being essentially poisoned is very hard to read, and makes you feel for each of them. Kate Moore’s writing has a remarkable ability to keep you enthralled with the story that she is recounting. While this book is long, I definitely think it’s worth the time you put into it.

The black prism- brent weeks

This book also comes with its own warning because it’s so long. This is a five book high-fantasy series so if you’re not prepared for that commitment than I would steer clear of this novel. If you are looking for your next fantasy series, search no more. This novel follows a world which posses a magic system based on color. The Prism, who posses the magic of all colors, is dying and knows he needs to pass on his power to the next Prism. In a distant village, his bastardized son will have his future laid out for him.

This is my favorite fantasy series and I am in the process of re-reading to the entire series through the audio books. The magic system is interesting, but not complicated enough that it takes a lot of effort to understand it. The characters are entertaining and all have their own interesting problems to overcome. While this series is long, I really think it’s worth putting the time into.

That’s all the book recommendations I have for you today, but I hope you manage to get around to a couple. Happy reading!

Emma Belica

Geneseo '24

Emma Belica is a sophomore at Geneseo, she's majoring in both Biology and Sustainability Studies. She loves reading, writing, yoga, and the outdoors. She is also very excited to be here :)