This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Even casual readers will have no problem pinning me as a music lover, especially with my articles about K-pop and Taylor Swift. But what you may not know about me (unless you’ve known me for about an hour) is that I’m a hopeless romantic and I love Valentine’s Day! So today, I thought I would share with you all some of my favorite songs off of my ever-growing playlist simply entitled “Yearning.” Enjoy!

“Check Yes Juliet” (We The Kings)

Always a classic, but actually I just heard this song for the first time around 2018. Of course, it was one of those songs I fell in love with immediately, telling a love story and stealing my heart. I’m not even kidding! It made me want to write stories and draw art inspired by it, though none of that actually got done. I did, however, learn how to play it on ukulele, so it’s a start!

“Je T’aime” (Oh My Girl/Joy)

Of all of Oh My Girl’s songs, “Je T’aime” has been one of my unwavering favorites. I believe it’s a remake of the original song by artist Hey back in 2001, though all versions I’ve heard of the song are incredibly unique. Most recently, Joy from Red Velvet sang “Je T’aime” on her debut solo album, and is another version that’s unique, since it has its own sort of relaxed vibe but lacks Mimi’s rap.

…I will admit as a side note that I’m a little irritated that the Wikipedia article specifically for Joy’s remake of the song didn’t mention once that Oh My Girl had done a remake of it as well. But that’s beside the point.

“The Feels” (TWICE)

This one, I actually did write something inspired by it: a cute, short fanfic. This has to be one of my favorite TWICE songs, and definitely my favorite to come out of 2021. The English and Korean versions (I know the lyrics to both) are really catchy, and the choreography looks catchy as well. I can’t wait to learn it one day, and I hope this song gets you in the mood for Valentine’s Day!

“Message In A Bottle” (Taylor Swift)

Definitely one of the best From the Vault songs to date and currently my favorite Taylor Swift song, which is a hard place to get to since I love so many of them. My heart fills to the brim with love every time I hear it, which ironically I have three times upon being in Geneseo’s Union. In fact, I think it’s the only Taylor Swift song I’ve heard there, but I digress. I always feel the need to express my love by singing along whenever I hear it, so hopefully it has the same effect on some of you!

“A Thousand Miles” (Vanessa Carlton)

I know, I know, this song has been memed to hell and back, but I really love it. Every time it comes on the radio, I can’t help but sing along. Honestly, there’s not really much more I can say about this song; I feel like everything is fairly self-explanatory when it comes to the sweet lyrics and piano accompaniment.

“Hearts Don’t Break Round Here” (Ed Sheeran)

I know that there are plenty of people who aren’t fans of Ed Sheeran, but this has to be one of my absolute favorite songs ever. Every time I hear it, I can’t help but feel incredibly calm, and it’s definitely one of my favorite songs to listen to when I’m yearning for a love of my own. I wish I could be somewhere where hearts don’t break!

“Love So Sweet” (Cherry Bullet)

Of course I had to listen to some of Cherry Bullet’s music after Girls Planet 999 to see Jiwon, Bora and May, and this song made my “Best Of” playlist as well as “Yearning.” Maybe one day I’ll learn the choreography, but for the time being I just want to have a love so sweet for myself!

“1, 2, 3, 4” (Plain White T’s)

Plain White T’s have a lot of great songs, but this is one of my favorites, which at this point shouldn’t come as any kind of surprise. It’s an older song, yes, but one that I believe spans time. The chorus is great in my opinion, and I’m immediately calmed when I listen to it. It’s one of those songs that has that kind of calming power.

“The Other Side Of This Kiss” (Mindy McCready)

I had to include a country song on here somehow! Mindy McCready is an artist that isn’t very well-known, but I have three of her CDs and used to go to bed listening to them in high school. This is one of my favorites of hers, and is one of her more upbeat songs. I can’t help but want to dance along to it, you know?

I hope you enjoy these songs, and have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, no matter how you celebrate it!

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.