This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, your queue of spooky movies must be fully booked. But around this time of year, the age-old question tends to reappear: is the classic movie The Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween movie, or a Christmas movie? Her Campus @ Geneseo correspondents weigh in.

Jessica Bansbach:

“It’s a Halloween movie. The bulk of the movie takes place in Halloween Town, even if the theming of the town revolves around Christmas for most of the plot. And with most of the characters being creepy-crawly townspeople? It’s obvious.”

Victoria Cooke:

“As the little girl on that one taco commercial once said, ‘Why can’t we have both?’ The fact that The Nightmare Before Christmas includes two holidays just means it’s seasonally appropriate more than once a year! That means you can force your friends and family to watch it with you twice in three months with good reason!”

Megan Kelly:

“I’d say it’s more of a Halloween movie than a Christmas movie. It was originally released around October, and I personally feel like it has a high spook factor. Plus, Disney World usually markets The Nightmare Before Christmas for its Halloween festival.”

Kayla Glennon:

“Halloween. I feel like this is one of those things that I don’t really have a strong opinion on though, so I’m not going to get mad if someone wants to watch it in December. I mean, I’ll watch a Christmas special of a tv show in June if I really want to. If you turn on The Nightmare Before Christmas on Valentine’s Day, I probably won’t blink an eye.”

Hannah Fahy:

“This is absolutely a Halloween movie! It has Jack Skellington, The Boogie Man and a whole cast of spooky folks! To be honest, I hate Christmas movies, but I love this movie. So isn’t that proof enough that it’s definitely a Halloween movie?”

Madeline Reichler:

“If “Christmas” is in the title it’s a Christmas movie and I’m not watching it.”

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.
Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Madeline is a senior Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies double major at SUNY Geneseo. She is the President of the Pride Alliance, Assistant Coordinator of the Safe Zone program, and a Program Coordinator in the Office of Diversity and Equity. She may not have a lot of time to write, but she loves to contribute what she can to Her Campus Geneseo!