Round Table: What would you be arrested/institutionalized/lobotomized for in the 1800/1900s?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I’m sure you have all joked with your friends about what you would be arrested for, but have you ever considered what you might be tossed in the cage for if you lived during the 1900s? There were many ridiculous reasons why a woman could end up in an institution or prison that hopefully would never occur today.

So, we at Her Campus Geneseo decided to figure out exactly what our crime would be!

Nicole Callahan

The diagnosis of hysteria was falling out of fashion by the 1900s. Probably because it had before then existed a catch-all diagnosis for “bitches be crazy.” I can imagine myself being one of the last people to get an official diagnosis, though. It’s sometime in the 1920s and I am a dame on the town, aging out of proper maidenhood and into spinster territory, and my parents are getting concerned. When I was younger they found my suffragette leanings adorable, but now they find my political mind off-putting and try to encourage me to soften more in order to attract a man. They never should’ve let me attend an all women’s college upstate. I find myself in a scuffle with the law when I talk smack to a local officer at a suffragette march. My parents manage to convince the court that I’m hysterical, simply out of control and they decide to institutionalize me rather than lock me up. I get out after a while and go right back to being a local menace. 

Sydney Julien 

I am really opinionated and emotional. I can’t help it! I’m a cancer sun, taurus moon and aquarius rising! I don’t know if I actually believe in Astrology but I feel like these placements help illustrate why I’d be institutionalized for something over 100 years ago. I’d also probably be one of the last locked up for my “hysteria.” I can see myself getting way too into the suffragette movement and having some sort of mental breakdown when no one will listen to me or take me seriously. Apparently some women were institutionalized simply for being “unruly” and having a lot of strong opinions so maybe that alone would be enough. At the same time, I’m a bit of a pushover; plus I genuinely enjoy cooking and find something cathartic about cleaning, so maybe I’d do just fine with a rich yet progressive husband.

Margaux Carmel

I would definitely be institutionalized for emotional instability and general mental illness, because I’m a ~woman~with~feelings~(or rather, female presenting person, which makes it even worse!) I also have ~hOmOeRoTiC fEeLiNgS~ so that is clearly a sign of emotional instability, am I right folks????

Megan Kelly

I would be institutionalized for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, especially because at that point OCD was said to result from a conflict with a person’s inner aggressive or sexually deviant thoughts (Freud’s words, not mine). Also, apparently around that time people with OCD were incapable of higher thought? I mean, I think I’m stupid, but I don’t want anyone else calling me that. So, I would be imprisoned for complaining to my parents that I need to wash my hands seven times or someone will fall ill. Also, probably homoromantic feelings as well.

Victoria Cooke

Lesbianism.

People should think twice before locking any of us up!

Nicole Callahan is working towards a degree at a college. She has done some things, does other things currently, and would like to do still other things in the future. When she isn’t in one place, she can often be found at another. She loves certain books, foods, and activities.
Sydney is a member of the class of 2020 majoring in International Relations and Political Science with a minor in French. She is also Vice President of Geneseo's club figure skating team and coaches local kids in the sport on the weekends. While she's not really sure where life is going to take her yet, she's optimistic about the future.
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Margaux (they/them) is a senior Women and Gender Studies major at SUNY Geneseo. Outside of Her Campus, they work at Geneseo's Office of Diversity and Equity, is on the executive board of Pride Alliance, and is an active Safe Zone trainer. They love to write about diversity, mental health, and environmentalism, with the occasional goofy topic or two (or five). Margaux hopes to someday be the coolest gender studies professor you will ever have.
This is the anonymous contributor account.