This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

(Source)

Kids aren’t the best at naming things. So when they’re given the opportunity to choose a name to represent themselves online with, sometimes they make some incredibly weird choices. What names did the Her Campus correspondents use to guide their parentally-mandated browsing time with? Find out below!

Jessica Bansbach

I take personal offense to the previous paragraph because as a child, all I did was obsess over my screen names. When I played Pokemon, I’d spend hours agonizing over what to call my starter (look, maybe settling for “Surf Boy” to designate the water penguin is in line with the starting paragraph, but I was damn proud of it and I sure remember it to this day, which is more than I can say of my other starters!). I once cried myself to sleep because I tried calling my Webkinz chihuahua “Taco” and misspelled it as “Tacp”. But I think that the username I remember the most was my Neopet’s one, which I mentioned briefly in another article – “the_girl_at_the_gate.” I considered it oddly poetic, and in typical child fashion, a bunch of other people on the Neoboards (Neopets’ forums) agreed and would take time out of their day to PM me compliments about it. That’s a level of worship I’ve never achieved with any of my Instagram or Twitter handles!

Hannah Fahy

My Club Penguin username was “gjgyut.” How did I come up with this brilliant name? It was the original keyboard smash! My older cousin told me that that was the best way to come up with your username. I thought my older cousin was the coolest human being so of course I followed this advice! I no longer use this username, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for it!

Megan Kelly

I always ended up using the same username for most online sites, and that was “Clueless Dragon.” My reasoning for this was twofold. First, I liked dragons a lot, to the point where I cried when I learned that the Discovery Documentary Channel about them was fake and that dragons weren’t real. Second, even as a child I knew I wasn’t the brightest kid. I put the two together and got the username Clueless Dragon. Honestly, I still don’t have too much creativity, because that’s what I use for both my Twitter and Tumblr handles.

Kayla Glennon

My Club Penguin username was “Jamie67315.” I chose this because my parents told me that I couldn’t put my name on the internet or else some creepy 40-year-old man would come find me. But I think the more embarrassing username was the one I had when I was younger: “ouatloverkayla.” OUAT stands for Once Upon A Time, the fairytale TV show that went on the air in 2011. I was in middle school at that time, and I was obsessed with it. I used this username for Instagram, Snapchat, an email account…it was a lot. I have a lot to say about that show; stay tuned for future articles from me about it.

Victoria Cooke

My username for Neopets and Webkinz was “toriajayne6” because “torijayne6” was taken and my name is Victoria Jayne Cooke. I think it was my mom’s idea to use my real name, which is entirely against what most parents encourage when helping their kids learn internet safety. And I think I chose the number six because it’s my favorite number. I still sometimes use this username, so really it’s rather boring and I haven’t changed much since I was five, apparently.

Rebecca Hagan

My username for Disney.com, which also made it the username for my Pixie Hollow account, was “MDove7997.” I was a big fan of the book that started the whole Disney Fairies line, Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg by Gail Carson Levine, so I thought it would be clever to have a username that referenced that book. There was a character in the books named Mother Dove so I thought MDove was a cool book reference. However, by the time Pixie Hollow opened the Tinkerbell films had started to come out and pretty much everyone forgot about the books, so the characters from them mostly fell into obscurity.

Nicole Callahan

Originally, my sister and I shared a Webkinz account. When I made the big-girl move to get my own account I went for a very cool person name “Fairy411.” I loved fairies and I had the 411 on them. Unfortunately, that was taken so I settled for “Fairy 4114.” Whatever, I guess. I’m not still mad about it.

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.
Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Rebecca Hagan

Geneseo '19

Rebecca Hagan is a senior History major at SUNY Geneseo.
Nicole Callahan is working towards a degree at a college. She has done some things, does other things currently, and would like to do still other things in the future. When she isn’t in one place, she can often be found at another. She loves certain books, foods, and activities.