This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

There are so many songs in the world, and when there’s a name mentioned in them, people freak out. We at Her Campus at Geneseo decided to do a deep dive and figure out songs that feature our own names.

Margaux Carmel 

I thought for sure that there would be no songs that would feature my name, much less have my name in the title, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found Waiting for Margaux by Al Stewart. Some of the descriptors of the character Margaux are wrong—I’m not a registered Republican, and I don’t buy expensive anything, much less expensive soap—and I don’t even know how to categorize the genre other than “I wouldn’t usually listen to this,” but it was fun to see that there was a song out there with my name in it.

Sydney Julien

Typing “sydney” into spotify sounded like a good use of time because I am currently very sidetracked from more pressing matters. There were a surprising “Sydney (I’ll Come Running)” by Brett Dennen is lowkey a bop, but it seems to be about a Sydney who has wrongly been accused of a crime? Which is definitely not something that’s happened to me. (Yet lol -Margaux) (it’s bound to happen lol) “Sydney’s Song” by Michael Calfan sounds like something they would play at Forever 21. A bop nonetheless. 

Rebecca Williamson

The first one that comes to mind is Beyonce’s “Sorry” when she sings “He better call Becky with the good hair.” Although only a select few people call me Becky, one of them pointed it out to me and I flipped out. I googled songs that have ‘Rebecca’ in it and more came up then I realized. Sadly, I didn’t know any of them so I decided not to include them, but it’s cool to know that my name is pretty common.

Emily Tsoi

Prior to doing some research, I hadn’t really known of any songs with my name in it. Here are the ones that stuck out to me the most. There’s “See Emily Play” by Pink Floyd which apparently is a song written by one of the band members, Syd Barrett after he claimed to have seen a girl running around when he woke up in the woods after taking a psychedelic drug. On the contrary, there’s “Emily” by Frank Sinatra which tells a very sweet story about how the singer envisions a family with said Emily. Then, Elton John also has a song called “Emily.” This one’s really sad as it’s about dying. So, it’s nice to know there’s a wide variety of songs out there with my name in it.

Margaux (they/them) is a senior Women and Gender Studies major at SUNY Geneseo. Outside of Her Campus, they work at Geneseo's Office of Diversity and Equity, is on the executive board of Pride Alliance, and is an active Safe Zone trainer. They love to write about diversity, mental health, and environmentalism, with the occasional goofy topic or two (or five). Margaux hopes to someday be the coolest gender studies professor you will ever have.
Sydney is a member of the class of 2020 majoring in International Relations and Political Science with a minor in French. She is also Vice President of Geneseo's club figure skating team and coaches local kids in the sport on the weekends. While she's not really sure where life is going to take her yet, she's optimistic about the future.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Emily Tsoi

Geneseo '21

Emily Tsoi is a Senior English major with a minor in Art History. She is an avid journal writer who has one too many rolls of washi tape. When she isn’t studying or journaling, she enjoys reading, watching 80s movies and going to baseball games.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.