This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Her Campus at Geneseo has had some strange encounters with paranormal creatures.

Margaux Carmel

I have very limited experience with paranormal activity, but I went ghost hunting at Rolling Hills Asylum a few years ago and experienced some creepy stuff there. Rolling Hills Asylum is an abandoned and haunted asylum in Western New York (if you’re interested in learning more, Julia wrote an article about it this week), and the owner offers midnight ghost tours, so naturally my aunt and her ghost hunting gang invited me to go with them! I won’t go into the full story, but our tour heard a lot of unexplained noise coming from the infirmary, and I believe one of my aunt’s gang caught some things on tape in one of the rooms of a former patient. I definitely believe in ghosts and hope to go on more ghost hunting adventures soon!

Julia Clancy

I’ve had one encounter with a ghost, but it wasn’t scary AT ALL. When I was about 9 or 10, I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Granted, I was really tired, so when I walked out into the hallway I dismissed the black and white blob that clouded my vision. After rubbing my eyes and waking up a bit, I realized that I was seeing my family’s first pet, who died a couple of years prior, walking up and down the hallway as if she was looking after us. Obviously, I was a child so I could have completely imagined the entire encounter, but as you’d assume, I desperately want to believe that what I saw was true. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that Maggie watches over us that night. Dogs really are lifelong friends, even after they pass on. 

Jess Kaplan

Throughout the pandemic, I’ve very much gotten into things like tarot cards, crystals and all that fun stuff. A few weeks ago after going to one of my favorite new finds, a crystal shop called, “Crystals on the Rocks” AKA one of my favorite places ever (their energy and vibes are immaculate) for a reading, I decided to play around with my tarot deck. I shut off all the lights, lit a few candles for fun (including a cleansing candle one of my friends had gifted me from when she went to Salem, Mass.), and took my crystals out. I picked out a few cards and I kid you not, the minute I placed the cards down, the TV in my room started glitching. I stopped in my tracks, and it paused, so I decided to just keep doing my chill routine simply for fun. Afterall, I don’t necessarily believe in ghosts. The minute I started again, however, the TV kept emitting the wiry, static noise that made my heart practically fall out of my chest. I immediately blew all the candles out and ran to turn the lights back on. From that night on, my TV hasn’t glitched once. I don’t know if ghosts are real, but it certainly made me think something was out there. 

Have you ever had any encounters with ghosts/paranormal activity?

Margaux (they/them) is a senior Women and Gender Studies major at SUNY Geneseo. Outside of Her Campus, they work at Geneseo's Office of Diversity and Equity, is on the executive board of Pride Alliance, and is an active Safe Zone trainer. They love to write about diversity, mental health, and environmentalism, with the occasional goofy topic or two (or five). Margaux hopes to someday be the coolest gender studies professor you will ever have.
Writer, Ted Talks curator, crisis-line volunteer. Probably writing, probably caffeinated.
Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!