This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Lauren Davies

My family hosts Thanksgiving each year, but since we have a relatively small family, it is not a super huge thing. That being said, my mother always makes an absolutely incredible meal all on her own, meaning that Wednesday night her only request is for us to “get the hell out of her kitchen.” This started a tradition of “Thanksgiving Eve” with my siblings and I where we go out and do something fun the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. This benefits everyone involved as we get to have a great night and we stop bugging my mom while she cooks. We do not have a set plan for each year, but last year we went bowling and to Tully’s for dinner. Thanksgiving Day is pretty chill; one of my favorite traditions is going through the Black Friday ads with my aunt and sisters after dinner to prepare for the next day. This year, it will just be my oldest sister and I on Black Friday, but we do not take sales lightly so we still plan on going crazy. Overall, it’s a pretty chill holiday and always a great (and chaotic) time when all four siblings go back to being under the same roof for a few days. 

Nina Fichera

My family hosts Thanksgiving every year, and it’s pretty chaotic if you ask me. Thanksgiving is actually my least favorite holiday, and I don’t like most of the food, but I do like my dad’s stuffing. My plans this year include watching hockey replays (I know, Thanksgiving is a football holiday, but consider: I don’t like football) so I don’t have to have as many awkward conversations with my family, haha.

Jess Marinaro

Every year my family spends Thanksgiving at my cousin’s house and it’s usually a pretty large affair (we’re very close with our extended family on my mom’s side). It involves a lot of football, drinking and gossiping. Most importantly it involves a lot of eating; one of my favorite traditions is related to the actual meal. The tradition includes my cousins and I “ranking” the food our older relatives brought to the meal as if we’re on a cooking show. Last year Jean’s cream corn was a ten, but her mashed potatoes were a four. Who knows what’s in store this year!

McKenna Kelly

My family has been hosting Thanksgiving since the pandemic. Before that we used to go to my dad’s uncle’s house and have Thanksgiving with my whole dad’s side of the family and do something separate with my grandparents on my mom’s side, but now we just have my grandparents over to my house for Thanksgiving. This year’s going to be a bit different because some family from my mom’s side (I think they’re my cousins but I don’t know) who I’ve never met before are coming. I’m lucky because my family doesn’t disagree on much so I’m free to talk about pretty much anything, including politics, which is nice, but I don’t know how it’ll be with the family I haven’t met. I just hope my younger sister doesn’t try to argue with my grandma about whether or not God is real again (it’s her new favorite thing).

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!
Jess Marinaro

Geneseo '24

Jess Marinaro is the senior editor and secretary at the Her Campus at SUNY Geneseo. They edit articles and correspond with general members of the club. Outside of Her Campus, Jess is studying English Creative Writing and Sustainability Studies. They have had creative writing published in literary magazines such as Gandy Dancer and Iris Magazine. They are a member of Sigma Tau Delta. She is also an RA at Geneseo’s campus and loves helping her residents. When not hunched over her computer, Jess can often be found hiking, running, or frolicking around the nearest New York State Park with Geneseo’s Outdoor’s Club. They love to write about queer topics, taylor swift, and movies–especially horror.
McKenna Kelly

Geneseo '27

McKenna Kelly is a new Her Campus user from SUNY Geneseo. She is an undecided major, but is considering choosing history. She enjoys binge watching Grey's Anatomy in her free time.