This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

While Thanksgiving may look different this year, hopefully, everyone can still enjoy their favorite dishes (or try new ones!) if you celebrate. Just like our correspondents did last year, Her Campus at Geneseo is sharing their favorite foods on this feast-worthy holiday.

Before you sit down at the table, consider the history of Thanksgiving. Also, please make sure that you’re being safe and adhering to any COVID-19 guidelines in your area.

Now, let’s discuss these mouthwatering dishes!

Rebecca Williamson

My favorite dish is my mom’s mashed potatoes, but she does make them pretty frequently. It might be basic, but my mom uses a ton of spices and butter. Plus, it’s the perfect consistency, especially since we leave the skin. For dessert, we also make an Oreo pudding pie that is super delicious. It has pudding mix, whipped cream and crushed oreos mixed in different layers with a cookie crust. We only make it on certain holidays or special occasions, so I’m grateful whenever I get to eat it.

Sarah Sharples

My favorite Thanksgiving dish is pretty split between either my mom’s homemade cranberry sauce or stuffing. On a very related note, the stuffing next to the cranberry sauce that had time to soak in a little bit of cranberry juice might be the greatest thing that I have ever consumed.

Lily Connerton

I love Thanksgiving. Picking one dish is definitely hard, but I would have to choose sweet potato (au gratin) casserole. Many foods that are considered staples at Thanksgiving are incorporated into meals year round, but to me, this dish, consisting of scalloped sweet potatoes topped with cheese, bread crumbs and seasoning sticks out as something unique to the holiday. To be fair, can you ever go wrong with a combination of potato and cheese?

Margaux Carmel

Hands down, stuffing is the best Thanksgiving dish. Ask my mother about Thanksgiving 2016 about how she only made one pot of stuffing and I ate the whole thing and no one else got to have any. She now makes, like, three pots of stuffing. I help, though. Beyond that, pumpkin pie is a god-send every Thanksgiving. Every time I think I’ve had too much (stuffing) to eat, the pumpkin pie is brought out and I’m shoving more food in my mouth.

Julia Clancy

I want to preface with the fact that I am the world’s pickiest eater … to the point where it’s embarrassing. However, there’s just something about my grandma’s turkey and gravy that just makes my heart race. I understand that turkey is a super basic answer, but my only other favorite dishes are desserts (which is totally okay). 

Megan Miller

My favorite Thanksgiving dish would be a toss-up between pecan pie and corn casserole. Pecan pie is so underrated, and it’s honestly a shame that it’s not a year-round dish. On the other hand, corn casserole is such a great dinner dish and meshes with the Thanksgiving food so well. It’s also very underrated. I don’t think most families have it at Thanksgiving, but it is a tradition in my family so I love it!

Lucy Laats

I think my favorite Thanksgiving dish would be my grandma’s s’mores pie. She only makes it on special occasions, but it’s my favorite thing she makes. As the name suggests, it has a graham cracker crust, chocolate pudding and it’s topped with mini marshmallows. I would eat an entire pie if I could. 

Mia Serritella

The mark of a good vegan dish is if it’s loved by both vegans and meat/dairy eaters. I once made this dish at Thanksgiving dinner that was basically alternating layers of sliced potato, broccoli florets, a vegan cheesy sauce drizzled throughout and finished with breadcrumbs on top. It’s amazing. A mouthful made my cousin go quiet after badgering me about being fully vegan at the time. 

Jessica Kaplan

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday: the food, spending time with loved ones, binging Thanksgiving “Friends” episodes and just being thankful—it has it all. For me, the basics like mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (which I annually and proudly make) and stuffing are all my favorites. This year, we’re gonna try to mix things up a bit since it will be especially small. So who knows, maybe some new traditions will begin, which is honestly on brand for 2020.

Emily Tsoi

This Thanksgiving is going to be super weird since we’re just celebrating with our immediate family and my family never actually cooks on Thanksgiving (except this one time we did a potluck and my parents made sausage and peppers, what kind of Thanksgiving food is that?). My aunts and uncle always do the cooking and make some great side dishes and an awesome fried turkey. My favorite would have to be mashed potatoes or green bean casserole. They’re so yummy and comforting.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Lily is a sophomore at SUNY Geneseo studying neuroscience with intentions of progressing on to medical school. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, and trying new coffee shops.
Margaux (they/them) is a senior Women and Gender Studies major at SUNY Geneseo. Outside of Her Campus, they work at Geneseo's Office of Diversity and Equity, is on the executive board of Pride Alliance, and is an active Safe Zone trainer. They love to write about diversity, mental health, and environmentalism, with the occasional goofy topic or two (or five). Margaux hopes to someday be the coolest gender studies professor you will ever have.
Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.
Emily Tsoi

Geneseo '21

Emily Tsoi is a Senior English major with a minor in Art History. She is an avid journal writer who has one too many rolls of washi tape. When she isn’t studying or journaling, she enjoys reading, watching 80s movies and going to baseball games.
Writer, Ted Talks curator, crisis-line volunteer. Probably writing, probably caffeinated.
Lucy Laats

Geneseo '24

Lucy Laats (she/her) is a freshman, writer, and aspiring cryptid. If you can't find her anywhere, she's either in a bookstore or petting the nearest dog.
Mia graduated from SUNY Geneseo in the spring of 2022 after majoring in communication and minoring in cognitive science. When she was not chained to her schoolwork she enjoyed embroidering the mouse from Bear in the Big Blue House, playing the same three songs on the guitar, and prototyping inventions that didn't see the outside of her room.
Megan Miller

Geneseo '22

Megan Miller is a junior at SUNY Geneseo. She majors in Communication and has a minor in Sociology. Aside from Her Campus, Megan also takes part in the Women's Club Soccer Team, is active in the communication department, and is a member of the Royal Lady Knights. After graduation, she plans to go to graduate school and pursue a career in sports media.
Sarah is an English student and women and gender studies minor at SUNY Geneseo who enjoys poetry, crocheting, and making Spotify playlists.