This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Some sweetness for a sweet day!

Nina Fichera

Most of my Valentine’s Days tend to end up with me taking myself out before or after classes for a sweet treat of some kind. One year in high school, I think in ninth grade, a guy that I had a crush on actually got me a small box of chocolates with a little plush bear attached to it. I thought that was so sweet, and was convinced that we were going to actually date once I turned sixteen and would be allowed to, but that never came to fruition. I still have the bear, though! Still one of the sweetest things I’ve ever had for Valentine’s Day.

Lauren Davies

When I was in high school, I was a member of a pretty awesome Women’s Choir. Each year, we would hold a Galentine’s Day party with crafts, food and cheesy love songs. It was always something that I looked forward to, and I loved spending that time with some of my best friends. Each year it was a reminder that friends come first, and it made me a huge supporter of celebrating Galentine’s, as love comes in all kinds of forms, not just romantic. 

Jess Marinaro

As a kid, my mom would always set up cute Valentine’s Day presents for me and my sisters. It was a really lovely tradition that made us all feel a little extra special. Last Valentine’s Day was my first with a partner, and at the time my girlfriend and I were still getting to know each other so it felt a little more high stakes. Despite the little bit of nerves, it was a really great date—until BOTH of our bosses walked in the door and saw us! Honestly it’s such a funny memory to look back on, but at the time I was so mortified even though I had no reason to. 

Madison Dedrick

Some of my favorite Valentine’s Day memories consist of my dad. Being his only daughter and only child, he tends to try to always make Valentine’s Day the best. I remember always coming downstairs in the morning, just my mom and I; my dad would have to be at work. Even though he wasn’t there, he would leave flowers on our dining room table for my mom and I, as well as one bigger heart shaped chocolate assortment for my mom and a small one for me with a stuffed monkey that I still sleep with till this day. These will always be my core memories of Valentine’s Day. 

Emily Blenn

One of my jobs in high school was pet sitting. For my last Valentine’s Day at home, I sewed heart-shaped catnip toys for all the cats I knew in the neighborhood (and my own cats, of course). I was so happy to see all of them playing with their valentines! 

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!
Jess Marinaro

Geneseo '24

Jess Marinaro is the senior editor and secretary at the Her Campus at SUNY Geneseo. They edit articles and correspond with general members of the club. Outside of Her Campus, Jess is studying English Creative Writing and Sustainability Studies. They have had creative writing published in literary magazines such as Gandy Dancer and Iris Magazine. They are a member of Sigma Tau Delta. She is also an RA at Geneseo’s campus and loves helping her residents. When not hunched over her computer, Jess can often be found hiking, running, or frolicking around the nearest New York State Park with Geneseo’s Outdoor’s Club. They love to write about queer topics, taylor swift, and movies–especially horror.
Madison Dedrick is the Treasurer for this group. She writes about opinions and what is going on locally. As well as opening the community and wanting to create a larger community. Such as writing about how to make fall and winter in upstate new york worth it. Beyond HER Campus Madison is part of the School of Education as a Senior Adolescent English program. She is also part of the Lamron in the news section. As well as being published three times in Teen Ink Magazine for a variety of different topics. In her free time, Madison loves spending time with her family and being outdoors with them. Also if she isn't with her family she is on the field playing field hockey as well.
Emily Blenn

Geneseo '27

I am a student at SUNY Geneseo. My major is childhood with special education, and a minor in linguistics. I grew up in Brewerton, NY. I have 2 cats and a dog, and I love all animals! I enjoy math and history, and I am always looking to learn and challenge myself. I am head of research in the art history club, where I get to learn so much about art, which is something I enjoy. My favorite form of expression is in the clothes and accessories I wear. I am a 3rd degree Black Belt in Kempo Karate, and still practice today.