This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

With everything that’s going around, what better thing to share than our favorite comfort foods when we’re sick! Stay healthy, everyone!

Jess Marinaro

It’s officially cold season (even though it’s currently 88 degrees outside)! No matter how much I try to prepare, I get sick around midterms in the fall semester like clockwork, so at this point I’m pretty well prepared with how to deal with it. When I’m sick I’m always craving a warm meal, specifically either soup or goulash. I’m a big fan of soup once the weather starts getting chilly (see my article “Being Boring Is Awesome” for an example of my soup obsession), but nothing kicks a cold like my mom’s homemade goulash. Nothing.

Lauren Davies

It is so interesting to me that everybody has at least one food that they crave when they just are not feeling their hottest. When I am sick, I tend to always find myself craving Wendy’s. Specifically, chicken nuggets, fries and a Sprite. I don’t know if it is the salt that I crave or the nostalgia of Wendy’s, but for as long as I can remember, I have always asked for Wendy’s when I am sick. As a kid, my grandparents would bring us Wendy’s for dinner regularly, so it became a definite comfort food for me. Whether I have a cold, migraine or just a bad day in general, Wendy’s always helps me feel a little better.    

Nina Fichera

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember the last time I was actually sick, like stayed-home-from-school sick. More often I’ll just get like a symptom that goes away in a couple of days (something I mostly attribute to chugging orange juice when I feel even slightly off). When I do have a cough or a sore throat, though, I go right for egg drop soup. It’s maybe not actual egg drop soup, since it’s literally just noodle soup from a packet with a scrambled egg mixed in, but I swear the last time I ate an entire pot of the soup on my own—and that my sore throat was gone afterward.

McKenna Kelly

One thing about me is that I don’t like soup, especially chicken noodle soup, so when I get sick I tend to crave different things than the average person. If I want something warm instead of soup I will usually have ramen. I also don’t really like tea (I am incredibly picky), so if I want to drink something warm while sick I’ll usually have coffee, preferably pumpkin spice coffee if it’s in season. When I’m sick I tend to intensely crave mashed potatoes and gravy because my grandma used to always make me them when I was sick, and the warmth makes my stomach feel good.

Makayla French

Being sick is never fun, but comforting sick foods always make it a little better. My favorite sick food is ice cream. Specifically, Talenti’s Caramel Cookie Crunch. The coldness of the ice cream always soothes my throat, and the caramel is a sweet twist. Another good sick day flavor if you are not partial to the sweet and saltiness of the Caramel Cookie Crunch is Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food. The chocolate base with the marshmallow is a childhood favorite of mine, and brings comfort when I’m sick.

Nina Fichera is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She oversees meetings and writes about a variety of topics, such as music (especially K-Pop and Taylor Swift), her experiences as a hopeless romantic, what it's like for her as a writer, and other entertainment-based articles. Outside of Her Campus, Nina is currently a senior with a double major in English (with a Creative Writing concentration) and Adolescent Education (with an English concentration) as well as a minor in Human Development. She was the head fiction editor for the SUNY magazine Gandy Dancer in Spring 2023. In her free time, Nina adores writing to her heart's content, usually in the realm of fiction and fanfiction. She also loves cross-stitch, spending time with her friends, learning K-Pop dances, and reading.
Jess Marinaro

Geneseo '24

Jess Marinaro is the senior editor and secretary at the Her Campus at SUNY Geneseo. They edit articles and correspond with general members of the club. Outside of Her Campus, Jess is studying English Creative Writing and Sustainability Studies. They have had creative writing published in literary magazines such as Gandy Dancer and Iris Magazine. They are a member of Sigma Tau Delta. She is also an RA at Geneseo’s campus and loves helping her residents. When not hunched over her computer, Jess can often be found hiking, running, or frolicking around the nearest New York State Park with Geneseo’s Outdoor’s Club. They love to write about queer topics, taylor swift, and movies–especially horror.
Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!
McKenna Kelly

Geneseo '27

McKenna Kelly is a new Her Campus user from SUNY Geneseo. She is an undecided major, but is considering choosing history. She enjoys binge watching Grey's Anatomy in her free time.
Makayla French is member of Her Campus at the Geneseo chapter. She majors in biology, with a Human Development Minor. Outside of school she spends her summers as an ocean lifeguard working on Long Island, as well as competing in lifeguarding competitions, hiking, and surfing for fun. When Makayla is not studying in school, she spends her time swimming on the collage swim team Blue Wave, drawing and painting, lifting, thrifting, and doing yoga. She participated in last years GREAT day by submitting her work for the art gallery.