Because Halloween weather was often not the best for our costumes.

Taylor Bramhall

Two years ago, my best friend and I decided to take her little sister trick-or-treating on Halloween night, and the two of us dressed up alongside her. Not wanting to rewear the costume I had worn the night prior for a party, I decided to go as a vampire and wore all black and leather, heeled boots, and big, fanned out eyelashes to complete the look. My best friends happens to live in a very large neighborhood, so of course, when we were about a 15 minute walk from her house, it began to downpour, and none of us had brought a raincoat or umbrella. My once-glamorous vampire makeup lasted minutes at best, with one eyelash hanging on for dear life and my teased hair now falling tangled and soaked at my shoulders. My heeled boots also got soaked to the point where I couldn’t wear them for two weeks after because of all the water that had seeped into the padding on the inside of the shoe. It was a nightmare, but at least the three of us got a good laugh out of it!

Nina Fichera

One year, I think it was sixth or seventh grade, I decided to go as a fairy with a completely homemade costume. And by that, I mean I wore a pink and white dress I already owned and cut wings out of posterboard before decorating them. It worked well for a Halloween party I went to, but between being made to wear a winter coat and the rain, I had to ditch the wings altogether. So many people thought I was going as Minnie Mouse even though I didn’t have mouse ears!

Jessica Marinaro

Growing up in Buffalo, my family was no stranger to snow in the fall. There were many times in my childhood when a rain or snowstorm would absolutely ruin mine and my sisters’ costumes. It was the worst, and I always hated wearing a coat (nobody would see my awesome costume!). Although I don’t have a specific memory of one costume in particular, I remember one year the weather was actually so cold and snowy that our neighborhood “postponed Halloween” until the next weekend. Western New York weather is something else.

Studying to be an English teacher at SUNY Geneseo, Taylor is a romantic at heart with a love for the arts, vintage fashion, reading, and writing poetry. ♡ Follow her on Instagram: @tay.bramhall
Jess Marinaro

Geneseo '24

Jess is a sophomore at SUNY Geneseo working on her English Creative Writing degree. In her free time, she loves yoga, meditation, reading, and matcha lattes. She has lots of thoughts, and writing about them is her favorite thing to do by far.
Nina Fichera

Geneseo '24

Nina Fichera is an avid writer and reader, and can often be found writing somewhere (usually in her room) with her trusty journal. She is working towards an English degree, with the hopes of becoming a Creative Writing professor.