Orange Slice
Orange Slice
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

People on Reddit are Devoted to Devouring Oranges in the Shower and it’s Kind of Insane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, r/showerorange comes around and rips the carpet right from under your feet.

Shower Orange is a community of persons brought together by one simple belief—oranges are better enjoyed in the shower. Inspired by this Reddit post detailing a young man’s strange encounter with his counselor who told him that one of “the most liberating, carnal, and best feel good thing you can ever experience” was eating an orange in the shower, people across Reddit gathered in Shower Orange to try it for themselves. The results were instantaneous, and soon people were posting images of their “first times” all over the place.

While Shower Orange doesn’t give blatant answers as to why oranges are best enjoyed in the shower, one can surmise from the original post and the experiences of active users that it has to do with the balance between shower temperature and orange temperature, with a dash of not having to worry about dripping orange juice all over the place. The sidebar tauts the place as “a place of zealotry, for crusades against forbidden fruit . . . a sanctuary, and haven for all souls who wander—though are not lost.”

Many of the posts on Shower Orange are created by “virgins” who talk about their first experience with shower oranges – often in shock of the purity of their experience.

Others are well worn shower orange veterans.

And others have spanned beyond shower oranges—such as Reddit user fakejakebrowne, who exclusively reviews foods based on how well they taste in the shower.

With Shower Orange at over thirty thousand subscribers and with posts rolling in every day, it’s safe to say that this isn’t a phenomenon that is going away. They even have their own NSFW sub community that does the same thing—except photos of the shower orange include the actual nude persons enjoying their oranges (you can find the link to that one on your own).

When’s the last time you had a near-religious experience in the shower? Did it involve oranges? Tweet us at @hcgeneseo with your answers.

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.