This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Thrifting is definitely one of my favorite pastimes (and if you clicked on this article, it’s probably one of yours too!) But, as fun as it may be, thrifting can be quite challenging especially if you don’t know where to look! Here are some tips and tricks that I use every time I take a trip to the thrift store! 

First things first, start in the men’s section. I’ll say it again … START IN THE MEN’S SECTION!!! It always has the best oversized sweaters and crewnecks, perfect for layering or just wearing by itself! The men’s section also has a beautiful array of sweater vests, which I have been loving recently!! If you’re lucky you also may be able to score a nice coat/windbreaker, the men’s section is definitely superior when it comes to those items!

Next, I like to head to the book section. Almost every Goodwill will have the entire Fifty Shades of Grey series if you look hard enough, and most are in fantastic condition! I have also found some popular YA novels such as All The Bright Places, the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and one of my personal favorites, The Twilight Saga. It takes a bit of scouring, but most books only retail for $1.99 and are 100 percent worth it!

PSA: Stop sleeping on the furniture section!! I have found some really cute vintage decor such as vases, picture frames and cute little trinkets! I highly suggest looking through all of the picture frames at your local consignment store, I love flipping through the frames and seeing all of the different pictures of people/animals/things in them! 

Now that we’ve got a few good purchases in our cart (or arms, no judgment) head over to the women’s section! I usually look for jeans and graphic t-shirts. One of my favorite thrift finds is a shirt with Hilary’s 2016 campaign logo that reads, “Plumbers Union for Hillary 2016,” it is definitely a staple in my wardrobe! 

Before heading out, we’ve got one section left to explore: the accessories. I have found GREAT pairs of shoes, but unfortunately, since I’m a size 8 (one of the most common shoe sizes in the US) I tend to struggle with finding hidden gems. I also LOVE looking at all of the bags and purses; I have a few canvas totes that I absolutely adore! I also highly recommend looking at the jewelry, just remember to sanitize when you get home! 

With the rise of fast-fashion, it’s important to shop sustainably, and thrifting is the best way to do this without breaking the bank! Most towns (even ones in the middle of nowhere *cough cough*) will have a consignment store just waiting for you to explore! 

Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!