My Personal Ranking of the Harry Potter Movies from Worst to Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

As a big Harry Potter fan, and a Gryffindor to boot, I have watched the movies plenty of times growing up. I was the president of my school’s Harry Potter fan club when I was a kid, so it seems fitting that I write an article about the wizarding world. Here is my personal ranking of all the Harry Potter movies. Just know there will be spoilers ahead! 

8. The Order of the Phoenix

To be honest, I wasn’t a fan of Umbridge’s character and that Sirius Black died. It was great seeing all of the students create Dumbledore’s Army, though, and the end fight scene when the Minister of Magic sees Voldemort was the best scene in the movie. 

7. The Philosopher’s Stone

Even though this is the first movie, I got bored being introduced to all of the characters. Compared to the other scenes throughout the franchise, this was a little boring to me. 

6. The Chamber of Secrets

This one, I think, does a better job than the first film. The plot is a little boring, however, because it doesn’t establish a lot of plot points throughout the rest of the saga.

5. The Deathly Hallows, Part 1

I thought it was kind of boring to see Harry, Hermione and Ron on the run camping in the woods for a good part of the movie. The fight scenes are fun to watch, but there was so much build up and then we had to wait for the second part to see the hype. 

4. The Goblet of Fire

We are introduced to Cedric Diggory in this film, and it is the first time we really get to see the Death Eaters. The reason why this film isn’t higher on my list is because Cedric Diggory died after only appearing in one movie. 

3. The Half-Blood Prince

This movie picks up soon after The Order of the Phoenix, and the movie prepares its audience for the final two films. It is sad because Dumbledore dies and Draco becomes a Death Eater, but the moment is made when Voldemort is back to take over. 

2. The Prisoner of Azkaban 

This was a really hard decision because I love this move so much. This is honestly my favorite book in the series. This movie was important in introducing Remus Lupin, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew. This is also the last movie before Voldemort returns and the movies after become more serious. 

1. The Deathly Hallows, Part 2

The last movie of this saga was worth the wait. What can I say? I like a movie with a happy ending. It was sad to see Fred and Snape die in the end, but seeing Harry, Hermione and Ron’s kids go to Hogwarts made me happy that everything worked out in the end. The first time I watched this movie, I realized that part of my childhood was ending and how much a franchise had a positive impact on life. 

So here it is, my personal ranking of the Harry Potter movies. It was hard to pick my favorite because each movie had an impact on a certain point of my childhood. Even though it has almost been ten years since the last movie was released (I feel old saying that), the global phenomenon still has a big impact on both me and society today.

Olivia is a Communication major at SUNY Geneseo. When she is not in class she is often reading, photography, and going on a hike.