toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

If You’ve Ever Wanted to Talk to a Dead Queer Person You Need To Watch This Series Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Believe it or not, there’s a group of queer people out there specifically searching for ghosts that may have been queer when they were alive. This series on Youtube is called “Queer Ghosthunters”, a mix of paranormal activity and comedy. It’s everything you could want out of 9-12 minute episodes of ghost hunting.

First of all, look at how adorable their logo is! This little ghost just wants to make friends and support LGBTQ+ people, even if they don’t turn out to be a queer ghost. They have my heart.

During the first season, the group goes on an adventure to locate the ghosts of lesbian nuns. They try making connections at the cemetery, then attempt to communicate using dowsing rods. The group leader, Lori, makes a special connection with one of the ghosts, and begins to establish a somewhat romantic relationship with the spirit. This is where the webseries doesn’t seem to take itself seriously. They have the presentation of a regular ghost hunting show, but then suddenly you’re questioning if their leader is in a relationship with a dead lesbian nun.

At the same time, the Queer Ghosthunters give historical information to their viewers. In the second season, they visit the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio, where The Shawshank Redemption was filmed. They learn that many of the inmates there were imprisoned for sodomy. This of course doesn’t necessarily make them queer, but there’s a good chance a lot of queer people were locked up just for being themselves.

I recommend watching the webseries for yourself, but I can tell you they put a lot into these short episodes. They have a group of people with a wide range of identities, they meet a transgender ghost, they edit this into an episode for some reason…

The best part is that the show is still going! It’s not too late to get started before they go on the search for lesbian witches. Go hunt some queer ghosts (but remember to tell them not to follow you home)!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest.

Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.