This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

For most students, the pressure they felt during finals lifts off their shoulders once they leave their last exam room. However, if you’re like me, the long “to-do” lists and stress did not end when finals did. Home gave me a warm welcome along with an extensive list of things that needed to be accomplished to prepare for Christmas. Until the holidays are over, many people find themselves with more on their agenda than usual. Whether “the holidays” for you ends on New Year’s Day, January 6th for the Feast of the Epiphany, January 7th for Russian Orthodox Christmas, or some other day, you’ll suddenly have the kind of downtime you’re not used to. What now?! Here are a my best suggestions:

1) Catch up with old friends:

Use the time spent in your hometown to catch up with a childhood friend or two. If you haven’t talked to them in a while, suggest that you get lunch or coffee together. They’ll probably be glad you reached out!

2) Nervous for a particular class next semester? Get a head start!

Use your time wisely and take some pressure off for next semester! Email your professors and ask for a copy of the syllabus or a list of required readings. Not only will this give you a chance to start some readings and familiarize yourself with the material, but many professors will appreciate this extra effort.

3) Spend time with your family:

You don’t have to organize an event or party to spend time with family. Maybe help a parent with a chore or cooking, pay your grandparents a visit, or meet up with a cousin. My sister and I always set aside a day to go to the movies and get dinner together while I’m home on break. This is our way of ensuring we get to spend quality time together. You don’t have to do something elaborate to let your family know you care.

4) Watch a movie or start a new series on Netflix:

Netflix seems to be a downtime go-to for this generation (me included). Some of my favorite series include: Portlandia, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, American Horror Story, Parks and Recreation, Jane the Virgin, and The Office. I’m also a big fan of documentaries and docu-series such as Cosmos, What the Health, The Inexplicable Universe, Jesus Camp, and Under The Sun. As far as fictional movies go, my suggestions include Heathers, The Little Prince, White Bird in a Blizzard, Southside With You, and Mr. Nobody.

5) Learn for fun!:

Take this time to learn about stuff you might not learn from classes! Peruse the library for interesting books, watch some informational Ted talks, or watch a documentary (like the ones I suggested). I also downloaded the Duolingo app recently in an attempt to re-learn Spanish (which I took in high school). I also downloaded “Tiny Cards”, an app by the same company that has flashcard games on a variety of topics including history, science, foreign language, and geography.  Break is an excellent time to give into curiosity and gain new perspectives.

6) Start a new good habit:

Whatever you wish you did on a regular basis, whether it be keeping a journal, sleeping at a better time, or exercising more, you have more time and less excuses to start doing it! For me, I want to start exercising again. I was in a good habit of going to the gym at school and yoga class on a regular basis this past semester but fell out of this habit after Thanksgiving because like most people, I became too busy. Exercise can help troubles with sleep, stress, and metabolism. Additionally, it helps to manage some mental health issues (like depression). Personally, exercise has benefited me in each of these ways, and it can help you too!  Get into better and healthier habits (whatever this means for you) while you have the time and future you will thank you!

7) Try cooking:

In my humble opinion, everyone should learn to cook for themselves at least a little bit. You may even enjoy it once you give it a try! Find simple recipes on the internet or get creative yourself! You could even use this opportunity to spend time with family by asking a parent or grandparent to teach you a family recipe you enjoy eating. Cooking is an excellent skill to have since almost everyone loves food and making food at home is almost always less expensive and healthier than going to a restaurant or buying it pre-made.

8) Explore your surroundings:

If you live in a city this may include going to a new museum, restaurant, or park. For those from rural areas (like me) this could mean looking for new hiking trails nearby or taking a short trip to a nearby city or attraction to try or see something new. Exploring something new is great to do with friends and family too!

9) Get yourself organized:

This is another thing you’ll be glad you did when you start getting busy again. Clean your room, go through your closet and donate clothes you don’t wear, finally clean off a messy desk or table, or even just declutter your email inbox. While this might not be exciting, the elimination of clutter could help relax you or make your life run more efficiently.

10) Read or Write Her Campus Articles:

Does this even need explanation?

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Sydney is a member of the class of 2020 majoring in International Relations and Political Science with a minor in French. She is also Vice President of Geneseo's club figure skating team and coaches local kids in the sport on the weekends. While she's not really sure where life is going to take her yet, she's optimistic about the future.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.