body images 2019 05 10 mapjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 05 10 mapjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HC Sister Chapters: Introduction to Brisol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

First of all, a little bit about me. I’m Ellie, the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Bristol. I’m a third year English student, and have been part of our ever-growing chapter since I was a Fresher. I love Bristol, and I want to tell you why you should visit!

Where is your University based? 

Situated in the South-West of England, Bristol is a brilliant city. Boasting hundreds of green spaces, scenic suburbs and a beautiful river view, it is consistently voted one of the best cities to live in in the Britain. Bristol was my first choice University, and while I love my course (English), I have to be honest and admit that the thing that motivated me to choose the University of Bristol most was the city.

Describe your town/city/environment 

The University campus is situated in Clifton, a beautiful, bustling area with heaps of cafes, shops and restaurants. It’s unusual in that it is not a campus in the typical sense  –  University buildings are dotted around the city, but the majority are in Clifton. I love that the Uni is right in the town so after classes I can get a bite to eat or do a bit of shopping. With two large unis, there’s plenty to do for students, but equally just a stones throw away you can find peaceful parks to rest and rejuvenate.

What is your favourite thing about Bristol? 

It’s cliché to say, but there is such a nice vibe here: there is so much to do, and yet it’s not quite as busy and hectic as London. There’s also such as diverse range of areas, from cool and edgy Stokes Croft, to the independent shopping district of Gloucester Road  –  you’re bound to find an area you love! It’s difficult to decide, but perhaps my favourite area of Bristol is the Harbourside  – it’s got such a  nice atmosphere, and there are regular food markets there at the weekends. The city has such a rich maritime history, and the Harbourside has plenty of galleries, museums and other attractions to keep you entertained.

Recommendations for things to do when people visit 

The iconic symbol of Bristol – the Clifton Suspension Bridge has to be the top of your list. Located above the Avon Gorge, the scenery by the bridge is unmatched, surrounded by steep clifts with great views of the city. It’s also on the edge of Clifton Village, a picturesque area of Bristol with quaint, independent shops and gorgeous townhouses  –  I like to stroll around and image myself living in one of them! 

You also have to go to Brandon Hill, a sloping park in between Clifton and Hotwells. At the summit of the park sits Cabot Tower, a Victorian viewpoint which you can climb to see stunning views of the city. Bristol is known for its hills, so make sure you pack sturdy shoes to help you as you trek through the city.

Another must see is M Shed, a museum displaying colourful exhibits of the history of the city. It also holds touring exhibitions, including the Wildlife Photographer of the Year, a beautiful exhibition of exceptional wildlife photographs. M Shed is situated on Spike Island, the museum district of Bristol, so if history is not your thing, perhaps art is? There are plenty of galleries, restaurants and cafes to visit in this area so you’re sure to find something to do.

So, there is my whistle-stop tour of Bristol. I hope you can visit one day!  

I'm Ellie, a third year English student and the Editor-in-Chief at HerCampus Bristol. I love sunshine, long walks and English breakfast tea! I write about all things health and wellness, with a few miscellaneous topics sneaking in here and there.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!