This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I love core memories because they don’t have to be particularly the biggest or most extravagant memories in your life. They could easily be just something you remember for no real reason. Which is why I decided to give some of my favorite core memories a theme song. 

1. Visiting a local creek with my best friend – “I’m Only Me When I’m With You” by Taylor Swift

My best friend (hey, sid!) and I have been best friends since we were three years old. We grew up as neighbors, therefore we were always together, basically from the ages of three to 18. The town we grew up in has a creek, about a five minute drive from our houses, but we took 17 years to ever visit this creek. Why? I don’t know! But we eventually made it last spring and had a blast. We didn’t do anything particularly exciting, just hung out, did some exploring and got in the water for a bit. It is worth noting that me and my best friend are polar opposites at times, so a majority of this adventure was spent with her chasing me with crawfish and me screaming about everything that brushes against my leg in the creek. All and all, a great day that gave off major Debut Taylor Swift vibes, which is why I am choosing “I’m Only Me When I’m With You” as the theme song. 

1. Sleepovers at my aunt’s house – “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper

Not to flex, but I have a pretty awesome aunt. Throughout my childhood my siblings and I would regularly sleepover at her house, especially my sisters and I. It was always so much fun and these sleepovers consisted of shopping trips, dance parties, movie nights and more fun activities. Hence why I chose “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” because we were indeed girls just having fun (alongside my brother and uncle, sorry guys!). So many great core memories were made at all of those sleepovers.

1. Quarantine drives with my sister – “All Too Well” by Taylor Swift

I think we are all in agreement that quarantine was an interesting time in our lives, but one way my sister and I would get out of the house was going on “quarantine drives.” This usually happened after walking our dog when we decided that we didn’t want to go back home just yet so we would just drive around random backroads in our hometown. Almost every single quarantine drive would involve the song “All Too Well” by Taylor Swift, because there is no better song to sing in the car. Unfortunately this was before the ten minute version of “All Too Well” was released, but maybe that’s for the best. 

I have been blessed with some pretty fun core memories, and I hope there are many more to come. I encourage all of you to try to give your core memories a theme songs, then that song with always be associated with a fun memory :)

Lauren Davies

Geneseo '24

Lauren is the social media director and event coordinater for HerCampus at Geneseo. She keeps all the HerCampus at Geneseo socials up to date, and plans fun events on the Geneseo campus! Outside of HerCampus, Lauren is an English Adolescent Education major at Geneseo! In Lauren's free time she loves to walk her dog, Stewart, podcasting, drinking coffee, and hanging out with her friends!