Explaining Some of My Spotify Playlists’ Titles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

This is so very self-indulgent of me, I know. But the thing is, I obsessively listen to music—when I’m studying, showering, cooking—anytime and anywhere. And in this time I’ve created quite a few gems, gems that, to me, sparkle brighter than playlists titled “vibes” and “crackhead energy.” Some of which I’m presenting to you here, accompanied by the niche, personal tangents that explain their background and purpose. 

panic and fob before they became the bands they once loathed

This one’s pretty self-explanatory—their newer stuff has been pretty disappointing to me. I mean c’mon Brendon Urie, what was that ME! feature? I’m not one to be against change but both of their sounds have developed far from the ones that caused me to fall in love with them. Not to mention Panic! At The Disco can’t seem to keep a single band member, no wonder they’ve arguably changed the most.  

i am the cookie dough, they are the easy bake oven

A playlist dedicated to The Sonder Bombs. As the title suggests, they are taking my raw, unformed thoughts and baking them into wonderful songs about escapism and angst. I really recommend the songs Switzerland, Shoot 2 Kill and Twinkle Lights. 

gravel for brains but the kind you put in fish bowls

This one is one of those time-capsule playlists; the kind you make when you’re stuck in a certain mood for days or weeks and just need to ride the wave until you’re finally out. It starts off incredibly angsty with fredo.disco and Green Day, transitions into a melancholy tone with Phoebe Bridgers and Mitsky and then into some sort of acceptance mixed with self-reflection with the help of Alex Turner and Car Seat Headrest. 

me and my pikachu blanket against the world

This playlist begins with the Barenaked Ladies song Pinch Me shown three times so as you can tell I was fairly (deeply) depressed when I made this. It features a bunch of comfort songs that you can wrap yourself in when feeling unwell. Some recommendations that are on this playlist are the aforementioned Pinch Me, ART IS DEAD by Bo Burnham, Me & My Dog by Boygenius, Paint the Moon by The Czars and Spaceship by Art Sorority. 

birdhouse 4 a soul, like the kind you paint as a kid

I made this playlist as a follow up to how I was feeling after number four. I was happier and comfortable in my own reality again, like I was throwing on a fresh coat of paint on a space I had already invested so much effort into building. Listening to music that matches how I feel—or want to feel—really helps reaffirming and encouraging those feelings. The playlist was inspired by an actual song on it called Birdhouse in Your Soul, you should definitely give it a listen. 

if the hair on my big toe could talk

Everyone hates this title so save your criticism, I already know. This completely female-led playlist has a cool riot grrrl vibe mixed with punk rock sounds, and is just, quite frankly, the personality I believe my big toe would have. Perhaps the pandemic has broken me. 

performing autopsies on past lives to avoid burying the dead 

Quite literally the only time I’ve ever had my heart broken was by this guy I’d spent a summer with. I was in denial and had the songs on this playlist on repeat, half of which were ones we had listened to and the other half coddled me as I thought about those moments. I remember not being able to listen to one of my favorite songs More than a Month by The Regrettes for about six months after that. That song really punches you in the chest, you should listen to it. 

im just a kid and life is a nightmare

An ode to my tween and teenage years when my iPod was full of Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Mayday Parade, Sleeping with Sirens, Paramore, All Time Low, My Chemical Romance, A Day to Remember and All-American Rejects. While I started the playlist in 2019, it really kicked off a few months into quarantine when regression was staring me right in the face. Seems like neither of us have blinked yet, as I’m still squeezing out the comfort it gave me all those years ago. 

songs buster and i would dance to at gay bars after some frozen margs

Buster is my 16-year-old dog, if that clears things up or just makes them even more confused. Just like the title suggests, it’s filled with the bubblegum pop I would imagine him and I to dance to if he was given the capability to understand music, walk and drink alcohol, and if I was given the capability to step into a bar without worrying about Covid. What a world that would be. 

Well this was a whirlwind, wasn’t it? If you’d want to listen to any of these playlists the link to my account is here

Mia graduated from SUNY Geneseo in the spring of 2022 after majoring in communication and minoring in cognitive science. When she was not chained to her schoolwork she enjoyed embroidering the mouse from Bear in the Big Blue House, playing the same three songs on the guitar, and prototyping inventions that didn't see the outside of her room.