matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About Meghan and Harry’s Oprah Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

On Sunday, March 7th, CBS aired Oprah Winfrey’s explosive interview with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, after the couple had decided to vacate their positions in The Royal Family. Unsurprisingly, the bombshell interview took the world by storm and left everyone thinking, how is the monarchy going to respond? 

Below is a brief list of everything you need to know from the already infamous interview! 

• Meghan was suicidal and after reaching out for help, the institution (aka the royal family) provided her with nothing.
  • It was made public that the Royal Family raised concerns about what color Archie’s skin tone would be. 
  • Prince Charles has stopped taking Harry’s calls. 
  • Kate made Meghan cry during wedding planning, not the other way around. 
  • The institution refused to give Archie a title.
  • The institution refused to provide Archie and Meghan with adequate security, suggesting that she continue acting so the couple could pay for it themselves.
  • Meghan spoke on how she thought the media was obsessed with the “good-Kate, bad-Meghan” outlook, when nobody had any issues with Meghan on the inside.
  • The Sussexes accused the royal family of failing to protect them, both emotionally and financially. 
  • Meghan and Harry got married three days prior to their televised wedding on May 19th, 2018.
  • Harry said that he was seeing “history repeat itself” with Meghan and that it reminded him of the way his mom was treated.
  • Serena Williams released a statement after watching the interview: “I know firsthand the sexism and racism institutions and the media use to vilify women and people of color to minimize us … We must recognize our obligation to decry malicious, unfounded gossip and tabloid journalism. The mental health consequences of systemic oppression and victimization are devastating, isolating and all too often lethal.”

I’m almost certain that the royal family will release a statement in the next few days responding to the explosive Oprah interview. Until then! 

Julia is a senior Communication Major at Geneseo! She loves to write and is so elated that Her Campus lets her do just that. Julia will forever mourn the loss of her favorite band, One Direction.