This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

High School Musical is, without a doubt, one of the most amazing movies to come out of Disney Channel. It was extremely successful with three movies, a live tour, a recent series (HSMTMTS) and it launched the careers for multiple famous actors. What most people do not know, or forgot, is that Zac Efron (who is amazing in his own right) was not the original voice in the original High School Musical for Troy Bolton. The man behind the voice was Drew Seeley.

Drew Seeley is best known for the Selena Gomez movie Another Cinderella Story, and he was amazing in that movie, but no one really paid much attention to him. However, he is so talented as a musician and actor. It’s so unfortunate that people don’t even know his name, especially people my age who grew up in love with High School Musical.

Imagine being the voice behind one of the most beloved characters in DCOM history (in the first film) and for people to not even know who you are. I honestly didn’t know much about what Drew Seeley was up to recently or more of what he did years ago until I began to write this. Seeley actually wrote “Get’cha Head in the Game” from the first High School Musical. He also wrote music for the movie Jump In! He sang a song in Shake It Up, the Disney channel dance-themed series. He also had a part in one song in The Cheetah Girls 2 movie. Seeley also starred on Broadway in Jersey Boys and The Little Mermaid.

Here’s an update on his career as of more recently. He posted on Instagram recently that he sang the theme song for the children’s series Sharkdog and he also released a single titled “Rich Kids.” He also does workshops with an organization called Broadway Plus where he can actually coach aspiring actors and musicians. 

Drew Seeley is, in my opinion, an extremely talented and hardworking person whose skills have been overlooked for decades. He deserves recognition for his years at Disney and any future projects he pursues.

Dara Scolnick

Geneseo '22

Dara is a senior who has an individualized studies major titled, "Child & Youth Studies." She is a member of Alpha Phi Omega, where she follows a passion of hers, which is volunteering. She also enjoys writing and sharing her thoughts with other students which is why she joined Her Campus! She is the Co-Events Coordinator for Geneseo's HC as well!