Culture > News

Breaking Down The 7 Historic Wins of Tuesday Night You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

By now, I know we are all beyond election fatigue. I am currently writing this at 10:30 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Nov. 4 and like so many of us out there, I am waiting on the edge of my seat for what could be one of the most important elections of our lifetime. 

It is exhausting, I know. We are tired of refreshing our phones, our laptops, checking news outlets for the latest updates and trying not to get our hopes up too high if one state leads a certain way. 

Despite this, I want to highlight some of the extraordinary things that have already happened. The historic wins that truly reflect the fabric of this country and showcase that America is a country of all different types of people who, when they come together through grassroots movements, can see incredible diversity, change, and hope for the future. 

Cori Bush: House of Representatives, Missouri’s 1st congressional district

In a total blowout (Bush won with 79 percent of the vote) Cori Bush has made history as the first Black woman, nurse, single mother, a Black Lives Matter activist, pastor, veteran and progressive leader to represent Missouri in Congress. 

Bush was inspired to run for office after Michael Brown was shot and killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri in 2014, where she worked as a triage nurse and organizer during the protests that followed. Bush initially ran for Senator of Missouri in 2016 and lost, ran for the House of Representatives in 2018 (and was even featured in the iconic film, Knock Down the House), and has finally won a House of Representatives seat in 2020, making history.  

In an impassioned victory speech Tuesday night, Bush said: “As the first Black woman and also the first nurse and single mother to have the honor to represent Missouri in the United States Congress, let me say this: To the Black women, the Black girls, the nurses, the essential workers, the single mothers, this is our moment. I’m speaking into St. Louis, I’m speaking into the people, I’m speaking into this district, I’m speaking into Missouri, I’m speaking into our country, that now is the time and we will live. We will live, we will stand tall, we will rise up, we will do this work together.” 

Sarah McBride: Senate, Delaware

In another historic win, Democratic activist, Senator Sarah McBride became the first out transgender senator in America. In a nation that has struggled for trans rights throughout its history, this is a monumental moment. 

McBride is a former spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign and won, similar to Bush, in a blowout with 73 percent of the vote in Delaware’s first district.

McBride is no stranger to being a trailblazer, advocating for Deleware’s gender identity non-discrimination act in 2013 which became enacted into law later that year, becoming the first transgender person to speak at a major party convention when she spoke at the DNC in 2016, and being the first out transgender White House staffer when she worked at the Obama White House. 

After a victorious night, McBride tweeted: “I hope tonight shows an LGBTQ kid that our democracy is big enough for them, too. As Delaware continues to face the COVID crisis, it’s time to work to invest in the policies that will make a difference for working families.” 

Mondaire Jones: House of Representatives, New York’s 17th Congressional District

This is a personal favorite of mine because I had the honor of voting for Mondaire Jones this election. Jones is not only incredibly qualified—a Harvard law grad who worked in Obama’s Justice Department—he is also one of the first of two out gay Black men (the second was another newly elected, New York representative, Ritchie Torres who will serve the South Bronx and ran on a platform of “Your Fighter for the Bronx”) to serve in the House of Representatives. 

Jones was inspired by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for office, running on a progressive platform advocating for the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, canceling student debt and other progressive policies. He’s seen as an honorary member of the progressive “squad” on Capitol Hill—made up of AOC, Representative Rashida Tlaib, Representative Ilhan Omar, and Representative Ayanna Pressley. Jones was also endorsed by the likes of Senator Bernie Sanders and several other high profile democrats. 

Jones tweeted: “growing up, I never imagined someone like me could run for Congress, let alone get elected. To grow up poor, Black, and gay is to not see yourself anywhere. Now, I am honored to have the opportunity of a lifetime.” 

Mauree Turner: House of Representatives, Oklahoma’s 88th District

Democrat Mauree Turner became the first non-binary state lawmaker ever in the U.S., and the first Muslim individual elected to Oklahoma’s State House. 

At just 27, Turner won 71 percent of the votes in their district and beat incumbent Jason Dunnington in the Democratic primary in June. Turner works as a Regional Field Director for the Campaign for Smart Justice, an ACLU campaign “focusing on criminal justice reform, and its many intersections.” According to Turner’s website, they ran on a platform of justice reform, public education, Oklahoma wages, integrated healthcare and more. 

After a historic win, Turner said: “We ran a campaign based on a lot of things and deep community power is one of those and visibility. We ran a campaign based off of the idea that we don’t always need to have allies advocate for us but we can advocate for ourselves. That was a message a lot of people could get behind. Not just a message, but also an action.” 

Marilyn Strickland: House of Representatives, Washington’s 10th District

Former Mayor of Tacoma Marilyn Strickland made history as the first Korean-American woman to be elected to Congress in its “230 year history.” Strickland is also the first Black individual to represent Washington at the federal level. 

Strickland ran on a platform of “building an inclusive economy,” universal healthcare, climate change—including clean air and clean water—and advocating for other progressive policies. She was born in Seoul, South Korea where her father fought in World War II and the Korean War and met Strickland’s mother. Strickland says she was inspired to run for office based on the hardships and discrimination her parents faced.

In her victory speech, Strickland said: “South Sound voters chose proven leadership, the ability to solve challenges and vision. In doing so, we also made history. I am proud to be the first African-American elected to Congress from the Pacific Northwest, and the first Korean-American woman to serve in Congress in its history. Part of the greatness of our nation is that many came before me to blaze trails, and I now have the opportunity to serve in the United States Congress.”

Kim Jackson: State Senate, Georgia

Kim Jackson made history in Georgia as the first openly LGBTQ+ state Senator of the state. Winning in a landslide with 79 percent of the vote, Jackson is also the third Black LGBTQ+ woman to serve in a state Senate in the country. 

Jackson has previously made history as the first out person of color to be ordained as an Episcopal priest in Atlanta while running on a platform ensuring that, “every Georgian has the opportunity to thrive.” She advocates for protecting voting rights, gun safety, education reform, quality affordable housing, protecting immigrants and former refugees, reforming the criminal justice system, raising the minimum wage and more.  

Mayor Annise Parker, President and CEO of the LGBTQ+ Victory Fund responded to Kim’s victory by saying: “Kim shattered a lavender ceiling and is paving the way for a state government that is more representative of the people it serves. The energy and enthusiasm generated for Kim’s race will inevitably encourage more LGBTQ women and people of color to recognize their own viability and make the decision to run. As an Episcopal priest, Kim can diffuse legislators who claim religion as the reason they oppose equality and will make clear that many LGBTQ people are of faith too. While Georgia lags nearly every state in the nation in protections for LGBTQ people, Kim’s victory ensures our community has a voice at the table and gives hope that more are on the way.”

Deb Haaland, Yvette Herrell, Teresa Leger Fernandez: House of Representatives, Districts 1, 2 and 3 of New Mexico

New Mexico made history Tuesday night as the first state to elect all women of color to the House delegation. 

Democratic Representative Deb Haaland of the Pueblo of Laguna was re-elected for New Mexico’s first district. Republican Yvette Herell of the Cherokee Nation defeated the Democratic incumbent to win New Mexico’s second district. Lastly, Democrat Teresa Leger Fernandez won by filling a previously vacated seat in New Mexico’s 3rd district. 

Leger Fernandez tweeted: “the people of New Mexico have chosen to protect what we love – our democracy, our planet, our families and communities, our health care and our future. With this victory, I promise you I will take the courageous action that this historic moment demands. Muchísimas gracias!

While we keep waiting for those presidential election results, let’s not forget to celebrate all the amazing wins and increase in representation we’ve had so far!

Writer, Ted Talks curator, crisis-line volunteer. Probably writing, probably caffeinated.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!