This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

It cannot be said enough: this semester has been utterly, purely and undeniably g r u e l i n g. A month of rest is waiting for all of us, and I am using the days leading up to it to plan how I’d like to spend it. Hopefully the following list (in no particular order) of things I look forward to doing sparks some kind of interest in you. If not, I hope you have a rejuvenating break—we all deserve it. 

Embroidering!

This is the activity I’m looking forward to the most. I took up embroidering at the start of quarantine and have only reeled back because of classes and work. It is my number one coping mechanism and has yet to fail me. If you’re wondering what I embroider, the answer is absolutely anything I feel like. I once cropped a shirt for my friend and embroidered Perry the Platypus sitting on a chair playing a guitar, with angel wings behind him. Please enjoy a picture of it below (If you think the wings look uneven no you don’t). 

Playing video games

Playing video games is hands down the best escapism known to man– and in the world we’re currently trying to trudge through– escapism feels essential. Maybe it’s because I’m an earth sign but I love re-playing the games I know and love. These games include the Batman: Arkham series, Okami, DC Universe Online, The Last of Us (Part 1, we don’t talk about Part 2) and Black Ops 3’s zombies mode. You also cannot forget about a classic Pokemon game. Fun fact I once lost my copy of Pokemon: Pearl and I haven’t been the same since. 

Binge-watching television and movies

I’m halfway through Community and eager to get the chance to really watch it besides the one-episode-a-night plan I’m doing right now. It’s truly one of the most well-made shows I’ve ever watched. As for movies, my brother and I have plans to finally watch High School Musical 3 after watching the first two last time I was home. Riveting stuff, I know.

Building stuff

I’m a simple gal: I like making things and listening to music while I do it. Right now I have my eyes on making one of my product ideas come to life. I’d love to disclose it but what if you, the reader, make it yourself before I do? That would be awkward. I will tell you though, one of my other projects is a fan attached to a bowl that blows on your food when it senses it at a certain temperature. Yes it’s dramatic, no I’m not open to criticism. 

Refining my TikTok feed

I recently redownloaded TikTok because of, yet again, escapism. However, my FYP is pretty generic and I need to get back to the “Do you listen to girl in red?” side of TikTok, you know? I just don’t have the time right now to manipulate the algorithm when it’s so busy trying to manipulate me. Don’t you love it when you text something to a friend and then immediately see it on your feed? No, but hey whatever coaxes out the serotonin.

Not doing a damn thing

This is what I look forward to the most. I cannot wait until I regain control of what my day looks like or doesn’t look like. My time can be spent doing meaningful activities, like sitting on my couch under a blanket not doing a damn thing. I eagerly await for the dizzy spells from getting off the couch after laying down for hours, bagel crumbs all over my shirt and a big ol’ smile on my face.

Whether one of these activities sparked an interest in you or you have your own plans, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and winter break. As mentioned before, you deserve it. 

Mia graduated from SUNY Geneseo in the spring of 2022 after majoring in communication and minoring in cognitive science. When she was not chained to her schoolwork she enjoyed embroidering the mouse from Bear in the Big Blue House, playing the same three songs on the guitar, and prototyping inventions that didn't see the outside of her room.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!