5 Things I Wish Someone Told Me My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

As I look back on four years at Geneseo, I’m proud of everything I’ve done. Since I’ve written about things I learned as a freshman, I wanted to reflect upon the things I wish I would have known then.

So, in no particular order, here are the top five things I wish I had known my freshman year.

Don’t stress about GPA

When I didn’t get a 4.0 my first semester (I still did really well, I was just salty), my dad told me that could be a good thing. He said that if I had gotten the 4.0, I would have killed myself trying to keep it for the next seven semesters. As much as I hate to admit it, he was right.

I’m not saying don’t study, go to class and do your work. I’m just saying that grades aren’t everything. I know that’s pretty much what students have drilled into their head, but college is more than just numbers. You should also focus on having fun and preparing for your future career. On that note…

Go to Career Development

Yes, you should go to Career Development as a freshman. You should continuously use their resources. I didn’t look for Career Development until the last month of sophomore year, and I wish I had found it sooner. While I’m slightly biased because I’ve worked there since junior year, I’ve learned so much that I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t look for it.

Career Development is there to help you figure out what you want to do after you graduate. Even though you’re thinking, “I have three more years,” life sneaks up on you fast. Get your resume reviewed. Start looking for internships early. Make professional connections. Trust me, it will only help to start early.

Join that club

I regret not joining OGX earlier. I made stupid excuses about time. Dedicate your time to a few clubs and only join clubs you really want to do. Dance isn’t going to help me in my future career, but it was fun, and it helped me relieve stress.

Joining student organizations is also a great way to meet people and develop skills that could be helpful in the future. Do you want to work in the medical field? Join Red Cross Club! Do you want to paint in your free time? Join Geneseo Art Club!

There are more than 180 student organizations at Geneseo. There’s something for you.

Form connections with your professors

While this may be a bit more challenging to do in giant lecture halls, don’t be afraid to visit office hours and introduce yourself. I loved talking to my professors, and I plan to stay in touch with many of them. I once visited office hours and sat with a professor for over an hour just talking about life.

Most professors want you to succeed, and many could even help connect you to future opportunities. This shouldn’t be the only reason you talk to your professors, though. There are some really great ones at Geneseo. Get out there and meet them.

Introduce yourself to people

This is kind of the same as meeting your professors, but it’s more than that. Say hi to the people who live next door to you. Talk to people in your classes, especially if they’re in your major. Geneseo is a small school, and you’ll see many familiar faces. I know I do, but I love it! Even if they don’t become your best friend, you never know who they could introduce you to.

While I hope this doesn’t sound preachy, I really do believe that these are the best tips I’ve discovered in my four years.

Your college years are going to fly by, so make the most of them.

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!