Wellness

10 Ways to Maintain Productivity When Learning from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

As Thanksgiving break draws to a close many college students, including myself, are finding themselves stranded in their respective hometowns once again with the expectation that they will be continuing their studies from home. If you’re anything like me, this task can seem daunting. When I had my first encounter with remote learning last spring due to the pandemic, I quickly realized how problematic attempting to complete a college course load over the internet from my childhood bedroom can be.

Yep, contrary to popular belief, a twin size bed surrounded by random trinkets from when I was 15 is actually not the ideal atmosphere for learning organic chemistry (Surprising, right?). Regardless, here are some tactics I have developed and found helpful in staying productive while completing college courses remotely:

Relocating to a local coffee shop

While at college, one of my favorite spots to study was at the Starbucks on campus. Although my small town doesn’t have a Starbucks, it does have a great local coffee shop within walking distance of my house. I find that allowing myself this change of scenery while working on assignments can be helpful in motivating myself to stay productive, not to mention providing me with my caffeine fix!

Enforcing a routine

It can be tempting to give up on a regular sleep schedule and work hours when working remotely. Personally, my classes are asynchronous, which means I can complete the course material nearly entirely at my own pace, enabling me to watch lectures during the day or at 3 a.m. if I choose! However, sticking to a general routine everyday is definitely a healthy way to make sure you stay on top of things and keep stress levels low for the remainder of the semester. Just planning on getting up by 10 a.m. every day and making breakfast can set you up for a successful day.

Making a caffeinated beverage (or three)

Something about having a cup of coffee or tea next to me on a desk always helps me concentrate on whatever task is at hand. Maybe it’s the caffeine boost, or maybe I just romanticize my life too much and need a steamy mug next to me to convince me I’m the studious main character, but whatever the logic, it works for me!

Creating a schedule for assignments 

Without in person lectures to distinguish one day from the next and plan study sessions around, planning times to get assignments done can seem overwhelming. Something that works for me is planning out set windows of time I will work on assignments and studying each day, and pre-determining which courses I will dedicate time to each day. For example, working on chemistry from 1-3 Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This way you wake up every day with plans already in place.

Setting up a work area

Many studies have found correlations between productivity levels and work environment. Obviously many of us learning and working from home might not have the offices and libraries we have grown accustomed to working in, but clearing off a desk or table and designating it as a workspace can be extremely beneficial when working remotely! Try decking the workspace out with things you might normally have in your office or anything that you might use like pens, sticky notes or a calendar to aid in creating a productive atmosphere.

Minimizing distractions

Admittedly, this can be difficult as a college student learning from home. Living with three younger siblings and two parents who were also working remotely last spring made avoiding distractions nearly impossible. Uncontrollable factors aside, setting my phone on silent and putting it away, shutting off the television and maintaining a tidy workspace still helped me stay focused. As for the background noise…see #9.

Allotting time to relax or take a break

This may seem counterintuitive to include in an article about staying productive, but prioritizing relaxation is extremely important.  Setting aside time for yourself to enjoy hobbies or simply rest prevents getting burnt out from trying to work for hours on end. You will more than likely return from the break feeling refreshed and ready to conquer the next task. 

Dressing for success

Although many have opted to take the shift to working remotely as an opportunity to enjoy the comfort of pajama bottoms all day, staying in my sweats always tempts me to lounge in bed when really I have more important (but admittedly less fun) things to do. If you’re struggling with productivity, try pushing yourself to dress like you would for regular class in the morning!

Investing in noise canceling headphones

This could be paired with #6 (Minimizing Distractions), but honestly, it has proved itself so useful that I thought it deserved its own spot on the list. Coming from a family of six, my house has never been a very quiet environment, which has never been a problem until I found myself doing college coursework from it. By investing in some good noise canceling headphones or earbuds, you can avoid nearly any audio distraction and of course listen to some awesome music while you get things done.

Collaborating with others

Remote learning is isolating by nature, but it doesn’t have to be! Organizing Zoom calls with friends to study or collaborating on notes and assignments are easy ways to incorporate social aspects into remote learning and decrease your personal workload. 

Transitioning from learning within a campus environment to a remote space is undeniably difficult. Honestly, even with the application of every tactic in the book, remote learning is truly incomparable to the classic college experience. Keeping in mind that this situation is temporary and applying these techniques has helped me to persevere through what is already an era of uncertainty. Let’s be real, there is just too much going on in our world right now to stress about coursework!

Lily is a sophomore at SUNY Geneseo studying neuroscience with intentions of progressing on to medical school. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, and trying new coffee shops.
Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!