This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Often, the popular songs from well-loved musicals overshadow other melodies of equal magnitude. While we all love “Defying Gravity” from Wicked, sometimes it’s good to give a listen to the “I’m not that Girl” songs of the world. Here is my own list of musical theater songs that deserve a little more love!

1. “A Guy That I’d Kinda Be Into” from Be More Chill:

​This is a fantastic song that is often forgotten by people who are too busy relating to “Michael In The Bathroom.” “A Guy That I’d Kinda Be Into” is just as relatable, and a little less intense. It makes a great song for listening to while you’re having a crisis over whether or not you like that person you sit next to in class.

2. “I Speak Six Languages” from 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee:

Yes, I have heard “The I Love You Song,” and yes I have shed many tears over it. Nevertheless, Marcy should get some more attention, I mean the girl literally speaks six languages in the song! I also recommend watching some videos of people performing this song because Marcy typically does some impressive tricks during to show off just how easy everything in life is for her.

3. “Roxie” from Chicago:

Life is “All That Jazz” but that doesn’t mean we should ignore Roxie! She’s just a girl with stars in her eyes and a murder under her belt. Who doesn’t want fame and fortune and attractive back up dancers? Roxie certainly wants all of that, and in the song “Roxie” she expresses those desires in a way that only a broadway song can do!

4. “A Change In Me” from Beauty and the Beast:

We all feel nostalgic for “Tale as Old as Time” and “Be Our Guest” but how do we manage to forget about “A Change in Me?” Belle is giving us a heartfelt ballad about how she has grown throughout the show, so why are we ignoring her? It’s a magical and beautiful solo.

5.“Abandoned in Bandon” from Once:

Okay, so the point of this song is that the guy singing is great with instruments, but a terrible singer. However, you can’t deny the passion he sings with! It’s a fun, lighthearted song that is sure to make you laugh. If you’re looking for the most popular song from Once, check out “Falling Slowly” and try not to cry. I dare you. If you’re looking for more underrated songs from Once, there are a ton. “The Hill,” “If You Want Me,” and “Say it to me Now” , just to name a few.

6. “Ireland” from Legally Blonde:

Keep it “Positive” but also visit “Ireland” some day! It’s a lovely song that takes a bit of a different tone than the rest of the musical, but it’s good nonetheless. Who doesn’t dream of escaping to another place sometimes?

7. “So Big/So Small” from Dear Evan Hansen:

I’m pretty sure that no part of this epic musical is underrated, but if any song deserves more attention, it’s this one. You can literally hear Evan’s mom’s heart breaking in this song. She is a strong, single mother who has done her best to be the mother and father for Evan. Any person with divorced parents or a single parent can probably connect to this song on a totally different level.

8. “I Didn’t Plan It” from Waitress:

“She Used to be Mine” is incredibly heartbreaking and relatable, but it’s also a tear jerker! Take a listen to “I Didn’t Plan It” while you’re drying your eyes. You will literally get goosebumps from the impossibly smooth high notes in this song. You will not regret putting this powerful track on your playlist!

9. “I Am The One” from Next To Normal:

This song is often lost behind the other knock-out songs in Next To Normal like “Superboy and the Invisible Girl” and “I’m Alive” but this duet between father and son has some great harmonies and a lot of mixed feelings. Go give it a listen!

10.“The Beauty Is” from Light in the Piazza:

This is actually one of the most popular songs from this musical, but I think the musical itself is very underrated so it makes the list. This song is literally a nightmare for pianists and singers alike. It is so technically difficult that a lot of people cringe when they find out someone plans to sing it. Have no fear! The original Broadway cast recording is the definition of what the beauty is. See what I did there? This song will fill your heart and make you feel all mushy. Don’t believe me? Go listen for yourself!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.