You Probably Think I Hate You, But I’m Actually Here to Thank You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Hi, 

We’ve been through a lot, and I’m not saying it was easy. I’m not saying that you made my life a breeze, because you put me through a lot of pain. You took a once-innocent girl and messed with her when you should have just let her go. I came out of everything emotionally bruised, and confused with what would happen next in life. You probably think that through all of this, I hate you. You probably think that I hate the thought or look of you, and that when your name pops up the only thing that pops into my head is a ball of hatred. While I spent a great deal of time upset, angry, and spiteful of you, I actually don’t hate you. I’m here to thank you. 

Thank you for finally letting me go. Thank you for letting me out of a relationship full of lies and bondage. Thanks for finally giving me freedom. 

Thank you for letting me realize that I deserve better and that a relationship full of deception is not something I deserve. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet someone who will show me what true love is and who will not only tell me what I want to hear, but mean it as well. Without this freedom, I wouldn’t think that a relationship full of lies isn’t normal. I would have thought it was something to fight through and to never give up on, in the hope that possibly down the road everything would get better. Instead, I just needed to fully let go.

Thank you for not choosing me every single time. Because when I find someone who chooses me every single day and never stops choosing me, I’ll know he’s different and I’ll know he’s the one. You’ve shown me what it’s like to fight for attention, and as a result, I know someday I’ll find a love that I will never have to fight for. I’ll find a man who chooses me over and over, and I’ll thank you for leading me to him. 

I want to thank you for making me a stronger woman. Losing you was one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to go through, because I thought we were forever and I never thought I would have to ever say goodbye to you. But I did, and it’s made me who I am today. For a while, I woke up with tears in my eyes, afraid to face the day. Now, I wake up with a smile on my face, excited for what the day will bring. You helped me gain this strength and I want to thank you for it.

Finally, thank you for helping me realize that I don’t need you. I thought that without you, I would feel completely alone against the world. This was so not true. Losing you helped me realize that I have so much love and support, and so many friends and family who make life truly worth living. I don’t need you, and I never fully did. I guess it just took me a while to come to that realization.

At the end of the day, we do have some good memories. There are some things I remember about who we were that makes me smile. Thank you for those good times, even if I’m not completely sure which parts were true or not.

You made me who I am and I’m more than grateful. Thank you.  

I'm a 20 year old Junior in college, majoring in Communications. I come from a very small town in Wisconsin, and I'm currently obtaining my Bachelor's degree at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. I love writing, singing, and fashion!