This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I never fully gave meditation a chance until my second year of community college when it was mandatory for my stress management class. It was on Zoom during the very beginning of COVID, and my professor had her colleague join the call to lead us through a guided meditation which, to my surprise, I enjoyed.  

We were required to meditate at least once a day for a week. I dreaded the assignment at first but quickly realized that I benefited from it and continued to meditate in an attempt to improve my mental health. Like most things, it might not work for everyone, but it could be worth a shot! 

Here are some benefits of meditation: 

increases focus

Maintaining good focus throughout the day during work or school is important for success in achieving your goals. Speaking for myself, it can be hard to focus during those long lectures, work hours, and loads of homework. If you feel yourself struggling, take a break and put on a short guided meditation to reset! 

Reduces Stress

College and everyday life can come with a lot of stressors, and it’s important to take time for yourself to decompress. If you’ve had a stressful day, try meditation to unwind.  

Promotes calmness

There are many guided meditations specifically tailored to those with anxiety. If you are anxious about an upcoming exam or meeting, for example, there are meditations made for those specific situations. You’d be surprised by the variety of guided meditations you can find!

Helps you recognize and accept negative emotions

Everyone experiences conflict and negative emotions at some time in their life. It can be hard to deal with these feelings on your own, so meditation gives you the space to work through them healthily.

It doesn’t take much effort to meditate. For guided meditations, all you need is a device for the audio and a comfortable place to sit or lay. Some guided meditations can be as short as five minutes for those with busy schedules. Regardless, if you can’t find time in the day to set aside, try sleep meditation before bedtime! 

Here’s a list of meditation apps to try out: 

1. Insight Timer – This is my go-to meditation app. It’s completely free to use and includes guided meditations for a variety of topics, including stress, anxiety, sleep, workplace, and so many more. There are additional features that you can pay for, but there is a large variety of free guided meditations as well as music, nature sounds, mantras, and more.

These are some apps that offer free trials. If you want to upgrade for full access, you can pay a monthly or annual subscription.  

1. Headspace 
  1. Calm 
  1. The Mindfulness App 
  1. Breethe   

There is also a large selection of meditation YouTube channels. 

Whether you choose to meditate or not, it’s important to remember to slow down and take the time to release any worries, anxieties, or stress you might have. Journaling, yoga, deep breathing, getting plenty of sleep, or taking a walk are other great ways to take time for yourself. 

Lauren is a professional writing student at GCU and will graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves skateboarding, watching films, doing most anything with her friends and spends her summers at her favorite beaches in Malibu.