This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Having one major in college seems hard enough; so, why would you add to your struggle and have not just one but two majors. Sure, you’re interested in other subjects, but you can just Google that stuff or do it in your free time; doubling up on classes seems like way too much work. The thing is, by double majoring you learn so much more and have an edge over your single majoring peers. Not everyone has the means or time to double major, but if you do, you should definitely do it. You will learn twice the material and do twice the work, but in the end,  you come out with twice the number of degrees. If you’re really interested in two separate topics, you will be learning two things you’re extremely passionate about.

When considering a double major, you should think about how it is going to look to future graduate programs or employers. Are your two majors’ areas of study that work well together or are they random, and don’t help you in your future studies or job market? Knowing how you will look to future employers is so important because studying two unrelated things can look like you do not know what you would actually like to do or have too many interests. While if your two majors are interconnected and interrelated, you may have an edge over your competitors, and know more about certain parts of education and learning that others who single majored did not have.

https://www.fool.com/careers/2017/10/21/5-mistakes-that-will-keep-you-from-getting-hired.aspx

You will also Expose yourself to new things. Studying more than one subject will expose you to two different industries and opportunities, making it easier to decide what you want to do down the line in your career. This is valuable both in terms of gaining hands-on experience in your chosen field, but also in terms of narrowing down your choices by eliminating careers that aren’t a good fit for you.

Majoring in two areas of study is also a great way to start networking. You’ll be meeting students, teachers, and job seekers from two different subjects. Majoring in two subjects means you are likely to develop more personal relationships with your professors (usually students get  very close to those who teach classes for their major) and will be connecting with students interested in both subjects. This means that your social and professional networks will be twice as large as  those of your peers and can also double your chances of finding an entry-level job after graduation.

On top of all this, double majoring means you’ll be able to study two subjects you are passionate about, broadening your horizons, and expanding what you can do after graduation. It can also help you decide what you don’t want to do and help specify what you do want to do with your future career. Even if you do not end up using both of your degrees, there is no doubt that you will be able to use what you learned in your classes in  the real world.

Autumn is from Morgan Hill, CA . She has been doing cheer dance and gymnastics from the age of 3 years old. She started all 3 sports recreationally, then started competitive dance and cheer at age 8, while continuing her gymnastics training. Autumn started coaching gymnastics at the age of 16. She has coached preschoolers up to competitive level 3. She’ll be graduating in April 2019 from Grand Canyon University, where she studies biology, psychology and dance.