Why Changing Your Major is No Big Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Looking back, it almost seems unjust that we are asking teenagers to make choices that could alter their entire lives. Graduating high school and moving on to college can without-a-doubt be one of the most challenging and confusing times in your life, especially when you realize how much the decisions you make really do impact you. With this being said, we should also remember that our life is ours and no one else’s.

Now imagine this: You are a senior in high school and begin the process of applying to college. Everything seems so new and scary, but also incredibly exciting and you cannot wait to start this new chapter in your life. You work hard on your application and when the time comes to pick your major of choice, you either go one of three ways. You might have grown up knowing exactly what you want to do when you grow up and select your major came without second thought. Another option is that you might have been weary and just went with what felt the most right, or something that just seemed appealing to you. Lastly, you could have selected undecided and allowed yourself time to figure it out at some other point.

Then summer ends and it is finally time for you to start college. You are filled with anticipation of what is to come for your social life and academic career. Maybe your parents wanted you to be a doctor, and to please them you decided to major in pre-med. It might only take one biology class for you realize that this path is NOT for you and there is no way that you can go through with this degree, let alone years medical school. While sometimes this realization comes immediately, often times it takes a few more semesters to realize that you are not enjoying what you are studying and that a future filled with this subject is not a future you want to have. Now, you are faced with two different options and you are unsure about both of them. You can either keep pushing through your path and risk working in a field that you are not interested in, or you can make the switch to something that you would not mind doing for the rest of your life. Both come with their pros and cons that make you swing back and forth, debating if the switch is worth it.

Composite by the author via MaxPixel

Your mind first weighs the cons. You think you might feel like a disappointment or that you are letting people down. You might have also already taken a big chunk of classes, so you might graduate a little later and have to pay even more. At the time, these cons make you feel like it is the end of the world, so you decide to ponder over the pros.

You know that you are very interested in another major and you can actually see yourself excited to learn about it. You maybe take some time to think about it and talk to your parents, or siblings. You realize that they are there to support you and just want you to be happy in your life. You also understand that even if you graduate a semester or two later and have to pay more for the extra time taken to finish, it is worth it to be in a career that makes you not mind waking up every morning. Another thing you realize is that this newfound change allows you to meet other people who are like you, and are interested in the same subjects you are. You know studying something you enjoy will make you happier, and will make school feel a little less like something you have to do, and more like something you want to do.

While the decision may bring stress and worry, you are in control of your life and you should not spend it stuck in a career that is not enjoyable for you. As a college student, you have the ability to mold your life into whatever you can imagine. Yes, the switch may come with some inconveniences, but it is evident that the pros outweigh the cons. You are still young and life is out there waiting for you, so do not be afraid to make that change and do what is right for you. If you still are unsure, remember what our favorite childhood author Dr. Seuss once wrote us:

“You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

You’re on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”

Now, good luck and never forget the power you hold!

Jessica Orozco is currently a senior at GCU studying Psychology with a minor in Forensic Psychology. This Los Angeles native finds joy in brunch, dogs, and musical theatre. When she isn't writing, you can find her scrolling through her Twitter and Instagram feeds or binge watching true crime shows on Netflix.