photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What are You Thankful For?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Seeing all the Christmas decorations up everywhere makes us all excited for the happiest time of the year! However, because of the overflowing want and anticipation for Christmas, Thanksgiving is often neglected; so, I decided to take an online survey from my family and friends on social media to see what they were most grateful for. I am so happy to see that although the Thanksgiving decorations have been forgotten, the feelings of love, and gratefulness are still present. 

Here I have gathered some of my favorite responses from the question on my survey: “What are you most grateful for and why?”

“Health because, if I wasn’t healthy I wouldn’t be around for my family or be able to provide for them … having good health allows me to work and be around for my family.”

“I am most grateful for the people around me who are still in my life and continue to be there for me such as: family, friends, girlfriend. Grateful for how far I’ve came and for the things I have such as: a job, a car and a source of income. Grateful for the clothes on my back and roof over my head.”

“I’m most grateful for our Lord, our savior. I would not survive all the storms I had to endure. He carried me through the most difficult times.”

“The support I have from my friends and family. They make it easy to be my truest self.”

“My friends, they’re the ones that keep me going and make me feel the most valued and important.” 

“The opportunity to be happy and have love, and support.”

“Life, because it’s fuels me with excitement, fear, adrenalin, and lust.”

“My parents. They are my inspiration and motivation.”

“Being alive and still being here today, it’s been a rough battle with depression and I’m so grateful for everything keeping me going at this very moment between work, school, my friends, family, my boyfriend. There is just so much to live for and I’m grateful every moment of the day.”

“My friends because it’s our own form of family while we are away from home.”

“I’m grateful to wake up and experience new things every day.”

“My parents. I’m the happy go lucky person I am today because of my mom and dad. They’ve molded me to be smart, well mannered, and responsible, because of their intelligence and generosity.”

“My boo (my son). He came into my life when I was in a dark place. He has taught me unconditional love, patience, and kindness.”

“My new nephew. I’m so happy he made it into this world healthy.”

“I never really think about this but I’d say I’m most grateful for my ability to show empathy and compassion to others because it helps be navigate the world easier and people’s actions become less personal to me.”

“I am thankful my husband and I get to enjoy our family, along with our grandkids. It’s such a blessing to be able to share in their lives and watch them grow. I love that we can inspire them to do great things and show them our love for them to is great and most important that God’s love for them is even greater.”

After going through all of these responses, there was undoubtedly a recurring theme. And that is love, and presence.  Just by being there, that feeling of love rises, and warms the soul being the basis as well as the core of Thanksgiving. Although the decorations are neglected, the love and gratefulness are not. Keep being amazing, and give everyone and everything your whole heart.

Thank you to everyone who shared their responses, and I hope by reading the commentary of absolute strangers you know that just by simply showing up, and that you care, pushes others to keep on going. They are grateful, and everything that you do does matter, and accumulates to the character of the individuals. Everything happens for a reason, and everyone you come into contact with plays a role in who you decide to become. 

Having said that, I am most grateful for my family, because they have showed me that by having a strong love for others and God, I can overcome anything, and be the best version of myself. Turning the other cheek, having an open heart as well as mind, while having a strong set of morals are characteristics I am proud and grateful to have developed, all thanks to my family. I love you a milli and one! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My name is Brianna, I am from East Los Angeles, California, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Government with an Emphasis in Legal Studies at GCU! I also work as a sushi waitress. I love running, fashion, and binge-watching shows.