Wellness

We are The Self-Care Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

February 14th, also known as Valentine’s Day, has arrived. Students in Elementary schools are making their little mailboxes and Valentine’s Day cards for their classmates, couples are contemplating what gift to purchase for another, and those who are single may be celebrating with their friends. Overall, individuals have rather strong opinions on Valentine’s Day.

On Valentine’s day, many people are being told to “treat yo’ self”. This is especially true for single women on this holiday. Often, individuals equate this hilarious Parks and Rec quote to the practice of self-care. Millennials seem to be obsessed with self-care. However, what truly is self-care? Is it something that is only limited to Valentine’s Day?

Books, magazines, movies, and articles tackle this popular trend by offering different recipes to make a face mask, how to have the perfect bubble bath, and how to make the perfect desert. There are over 1.4 million photos on social media followed by  #selfcare. These posts often show women indulging themselves after a difficult week, trying new beauty hacks, or watching their favorite Netflix show. However, self-care is not limited to these things or just on February 14th.

Self-care is not a practice that only focuses on beauty and fashion trends. It is a state of mind where one is aware of their emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Many people believe that self-care ought to only be practiced when something is wrong or when disaster strikes in life. However, self-care ought to be a daily practice. This brings up the question of how to define self-care.

Self-care is not a selfish act. By practicing self-care, individuals are caring for their body and mind. Self-care is not always glamorous. While it can be fun to try out a new face mask, your emotional well-being may be asking you to evaluate your true feelings and insecurities. Self-care does not look the same for everyone. There is no such thing as a perfect self-care regimen. Individuals are constantly changing. Due to this fact, individuals have to listen to their body and mind in order to nourish it appropriately. Self-care is not trendy or a social media fad. While it is always fun to post a selfie while you are painting your nails, self-care is not about receiving likes on social media. Overall, self-care is an intentional daily practice where individuals nourish their heart, mind, and body in order to develop a loving and healthy relationship with their sense of self.

What are some ideas to practice self-care?

1. Attend a counseling session. At every college, there is a free counseling center available for students. At the GCU counseling center, there are both 1:1 sessions and specific counseling groups for individuals coping with trauma, stress, relationship issues, and more. By going to counseling, you are taking care of your emotional health.

2. Journal or do something creative. By channeling your emotions of stress by doing something you love to do, you are honoring your passions and caring for your mind.

3. Find an exercise that works for you and drink plenty of water. By doing this, you are caring for your body and loving your body just the way it is!

4. Get plenty of sleep! By making sure you are sleeping well, you will find an improvement in your mood and your emotional well-being.

5. Make sure to laugh, at least once a day! In my social psychology class, my professor stated that laughing throughout the day will provide stress relief.

As February 14 is here, it is important to keep self-care in mind. This is not because self-care should only occur on this special day, but because Valentine’s Day is a perfect day to begin this practice! Whether you are single or in a relationship, practicing self-care is a necessity.

“Take time to do what makes your soul happy” –Unknown

Liz is writer and editor for Her Campus GCU. She is a senior studying Communications and Psychology with hopes to become a counselor. She is passionate about her Catholic faith, social justice issues, and empowering women. She love coffee, the color yellow, yoga, and cats.