Ways To Celebrate Thanksgiving From Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With many college students flocking home for Thanksgiving, it can be difficult for those who are unable to go home to their families for the holiday. Not only is it difficult to be away from family festivities, but when all you have is a microwave and sink it can feel nearly impossible to celebrate a food-driven holiday. Here are some tips to help those who are in this situation.

1) Gather Friends

If you are stuck on campus for Thanksgiving you may feel as though you are the only one in this situation, but there are without a doubt others who are feeling the same way. By reaching out to these people, you can set up a Friendsgiving. Bring your favorite foods to celebrate or go out to a restaurant for an untraditional Thanksgiving together. Gathering with others is one of the best parts of Thanksgiving, and people often forget that these people don’t have to be your family or close friends, they can be anyone!

2) Facetime/Zoom

With all the technology available, you can get in touch with your family with just the touch of a button. If you are feeling lonely over the holidays, try calling family or friends to chat with them. By talking to these people and seeing/hearing what is going on, you can feel part of the celebration from many miles away. You can also join the Thanksgiving dinner virtually while eating some food of your own!

3) Decorate your Dorm

A great way to get in the mood for the holidays is to surround yourself with decorations! There are many Thanksgiving-themed decorations that you can easily put around your dorm. To get cheap decorations you can go to Michael’s or Dollar Tree and get some fall leaves and signs to put around your room. You can also get a pumpkin spice wall plug-in to immerse yourself in the holiday spirit!

4) Make your own Thanksgiving Meal

Although it sounds almost impossible to create a Thanksgiving meal in your dorm, there are many ways to make it work! By doing a simple search on Pinterest or the internet for dorm-friendly Thanksgiving recipes; you will find a plethora of simple options to create an at-home Thanksgiving dinner experience on campus.

5) Remember all you Have to be Thankful for

Even though you may not be able to go home for the holidays there are still many things to be thankful for. Having a thankful mindset is the most important aspect of Thanksgiving, and this is something you can do from anywhere. To remind yourself of all that you have, create a list of all the things you are thankful for and hang it somewhere in your dorm where you will see it every day!

Nothing can fully replace being with your family for the holidays, but hopefully these tips will help those who aren’t able to go home have the best Thanksgiving possible!

Hey! My name is Rachael Jasinski and I am a sophomore at GCU majoring in professional writing for new media! I enjoy hanging out with friends, writing, and watching Netflix original movies! I am beyond excited to be part of the HerCampus GCU team and hope you all enjoy my articles! :)