This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It’s that time of year when we gather friends and family with hot chocolate in cute mugs and the smell of peppermint and gingerbread lofting in the air. What better way to wind down during this joyful season than to watch a good holiday flick?

But the most common question would be, “What will we watch?”. Of course, since it’s the holidays, you might want to watch something festive, but you know too many popular Christmas movies that you have possibly watched over and over again. Throughout my experiences with watching Christmas movies, there are a small handful that are overlooked but amazing to watch.

Claus (2019)

The 2D/3D animated feature retells the origin of Santa Claus through the eyes of the reluctant postman Jesper. Determined to get back into high society, Jesper must deliver a thousand letters to Smeerensberg, a town split into two rival clans. Along the way, Jesper meets the lone woodsman, Claus, and the two begin to use the idea of letters and delivering toys to the local children. This warm-hearted film shows us how the power of a good act can make an impact. 

Arthur Christmas (2011)

What if delivering presents proved too much for Santa Claus? What if his elves played a major part in the operation of the deliveries across the globe? This adventure movie is about Santa Claus’ son, Arthur, a cheerful guy who adores Christmas and tries to deliver a forgotten present to a special kid before Christmas morning. The film discusses how we can focus too much on ourselves and our jobs that we tend to forget the simple joys of Christmas. Arthur, along with his grandfather and elves, race against time and obstacles to show the true magic behind Christmas.

Jingle All the Way (1999)

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, a workaholic father promises his son the most popular toy of the season, the Turbo Man action figure. However, when it was Christmas Eve, all the action figures were sold out, and he still did not get one for his son. Pulling every string, he ensures he gets the toy at all costs. However, he bumps into a mailman who is also in a rush to get one. This movie tells us how family is more important than what you can give them as long as you are there for them.

Popular Christmas movies have given us tons of entertainment as well as touched our hearts and feelings, yet there are some hidden gems that we tend to overlook. Despite not carrying the same hype as many others, these movies and many others convey fun memories, keep us entertained, and show us valuable lessons on friendships, family, and genuine kindness while giving us characters to root for. So, if a Christmas movie has not been talked about too much or forgotten, perhaps this list can be a good start. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Current undergrad student at Grand Canyon University, majoring in Digital Film: Screenwriting. I like to write, draw, do a bit of animation, and sing in my off time.