This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Let’s talk about Eating Disorders

Eating disorders are amongst one of the most systematically biased and misunderstood conditions. The American Psychological Association classifies an eating disorder as a biopsychosocial illness that can manifest itself in a number of ways. Some symptomatology is easier to detect while others are trickier and often remain undiagnosed. The average age of onset for eating disorders among females is ages 12-35. A common misconception is that eating disorders are a women’s disease; however, men are equally as susceptible to body-image issues and eating disorders. As a matter of fact, males represent roughly 25% of individuals diagnosed with anorexia nervosa and are at higher risk of mortality because they are diagnosed later on when irreversible damage has already taken its course (NEDA, 2018). 

What an eating disorder is and what it’s not:

By definition, feeding and eating disorders are illnesses characterized by persistent and severe disturbances in their eating-related behavior that notably impairs physical and psychosocial functioning (American Psychological Association, 2013). The following eating disorders are included in the APA’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: Pica, Rumination disorder, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge-eating disorder, and other specified feeding and eating disorders. The tricky part about eating disorders is that they do not all manifest the same. In western culture, a female or male who is slender is automatically labeled as anorexic; however, other eating disorders like orthorexia and binge-eating disorder are harder to detect because it is common for the person suffering with the disorder to be at an average BMI. One thing each of these eating disorders do have in common is that they all have an onset of late adolescence and adulthood, which is also the corresponding age of graduating high school and beginning college. All of these are significant stressors in life that can increase the development of eating disorders. A few key ingredients or warning signs if you will, that make the perfect recipe for an eating disorder are perfectionistic tendencies and the need to feel in control of one’s life. A common misconception perpetuated in society and social media is that an eating disorder is a choice. Just to clarify, an eating disorder never has been and never will be a choice, it is a biopsychosocial illness that can come into light depending on environmental factors. Another misinterpretation is that if you are dieting, you have an eating disorder. This is not necessarily true because there is a difference between an eating disorder and disordered eating. To clarify disordered eating habits are general eating behaviors or preferences used to achieve or maintain a lower body weight. An example of disordered eating would be going gluten or dairy free in order to promote lean muscle. A disordered eating tendency crosses over the line to a clinical eating disorder when it interferes and disrupts the person’s physical health, psychosocial functioning, occupation, and is not otherwise attributed to a cultural practice such as fasting. Eating disorders must meet all the criteria provided by the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM5) in order to be diagnosed and given clinical attention. 

If you or a loved one is struggling with an eating disorder, please visit the following websites:

National Eating Disorders Association Helpline: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/help-support/contact-helpline

American Psychiatric Association: https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/eating-disorders/what-are-eating-disorders

National Institute of Mental Health: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/eating-disorders.shtml#part_155058

My name is Kayla Murphy and I was born and raised in Phoenix. I am currently a freshman studying Psychology with a minor in Behavioral Health Science. Apart from writing I love painting and reading books.