This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

This debate is nothing short of controversial. Everyone seems to have an opinion about Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump. Numerous news outlets reported that Trump was the winner of the first presidential debate, whereas others thought Hilary was the winner. At surface level, one thing I thought of the debate was unfair.

During the primary season we saw the moderators attacking Trump as opposed to the other Republicans, unfortunately, that trend hasn’t stopped. At this debate, the moderator gave Trump noticeably more aggressive questions and attitude than he gave Hilary. He even went as far as to give Trump less time to defend himself.

When watching the debates, almost every time Trump was defending himself from one of Hilary’s attacks, the moderator started counting down his time extremely early. On the other hand, when Hilary spoke, the moderator didn’t rush her nearly as much. Hilary also caught a lot of backlash for not wearing an American flag pin. She says she loves America and is running for American president, you’d think you’d want to show some kind of support. However, it was just a small sign representing the disrespect she has for our great country.

Now, I know many people have mixed feelings about Trump and Hilary, but it’s important to be fair to each candidate. The biggest biases throughout this election have been against Trump. The media is quick to exaggerate Trump’s words and blow it out of proportion. The medias unfair reporting has caused many of the negative thoughts associated with Trump. People are quick to point fingers and make accusations against him when they don’t even know what he really stands for.

This debate was essential for him to actually get out his stances. He had the opportunity to go more in-depth with his plans, something that many people have been wishing he would do. Many of my friends have complained about certain laws and policies and it makes me realize how important this election is. These people complain about issues that bother them that Trump is trying to fix. No ne realizes Trump is trying to fix these issues because they’re too caught-up with a false image of Trump that the media created.

As a Republican, Trump is probably the best thing for the Republican Party right now. At first, the Republicans tried so hard to push him out of the race and slaughter his name and image but failed. However, the people spoke up. The past several years the Republican Party has done nothing in office to stand up for the party platform. The Republicans have let Obama and his executive orders walk all over them in congress and they vote against their platform. These are career politicians. These politicians are so corrupt they don’t want Trump coming in to clean house.

As an American, we need someone who is willing to stand up for the people’s best interests and not personal interests to stay in office. We need someone who isn’t going to let other countries or terrorists walk on us. Trump has that courage. As an American, Hilary has done nothing to help the country in the time she was secretary of state. The only thing she has going for her is her last name, and her gender. We need a leader who’s more than just a name and a gender. We need a leader who has actually accomplished stuff in the real world. People think Trump is bad but Hilary is worse. No matter what you might think of Trump personally, we need to fix what Obama has done. We need to stand together in unity because we still have a say in how we want the country run.

Hilary has too much blood on her hands to make us feel safe. Everything she says and does is hypocritical and she’s put the safety of our country in jeopardy many times. Yeah, maybe Trump has called a handful of people names, but Hilary has killed. Hilary doesn’t care about our soldiers; Hilary doesn’t care about our country.

A strong believer in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.