Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Top Ten Out of the Box Traits That Men Find Attractive in a Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Let’s face it, we are all suckers for a good top ten list on how to win the attention and adoration of the other gender. However, our hyper-sexualized culture has hijacked by our favorite top ten lists and have made them glorify vanity over reality. Not to mention, after reading a top ten list on how to reach the unattainable, one is left feeling discouraged and inadequate. The purpose of this list is to reclaim the top ten list that we all know and love while promoting reality. Hopefully, this list will remind all women that good-natured men still exist and will notice the intrinsic traits that make a girl shine.

1. Being Able to Take a Genuine Compliment

Most people reject compliments when they feel like what is being praised isn’t true, but being accepting of his genuine compliment does two things. First, it gives the guy the confidence to compliment you in the future (because he is already a nervous wreck) and, in addition to giving him confidence, it encourages him to continue in being attracted to you. Second, it builds up your own self-esteem. Even though you may not feel like your eyes are pretty, by being accepting of the complement speaks positive affirmation over your own self-image.

2. Occasionally Scrubbing Around Us

This point seems to often only be stated for its physicality, but yes, messy buns, leggings, and oversized sweatshirts are very attractive. It also shows guys a different side of you. It shows that you are confident in being yourself. Men can find this attractive because it is a change up from the usual routine.

3. Being a Good Confidant

If a man can see that you are a safe person to confide in, he will be way more likely to open up about his feelings. Men find this attractive because it shows that you’re a safe person and care about protecting his vulnerabilities.

4. Having to Confidence to Speak Plainly

Communication is tricky for everyone, but when a woman has the courage to be straight forward, the guy knows he doesn’t have to do any guesswork. If he knows that you are straightforward about important subjects, he can trust you more in the future. Being trustworthy is attractive.

5. Being Comfortable with Natural Silence

Have you ever seen guys hang out and say absolutely nothing? Silence is a tough one for sure, but being comfortable with natural silence is attractive because it shows him that even in the emotional lulls of life, you still value the basics of quality time.

6. Inquire About Our Boring Hobbies                                                                                              

The old saying goes that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I will also add that asking questions about our hobbies is another way to our hearts. Yes, I know this may be really boring and you may not understand anything about motorcycles or cars, but it really shows that you care. Not to mention, you may find out that he has a hobby that you find attractive.

7. Compassionate and Caring

Yes, we all live in a harsh world, but sometimes men get a large brunt of harshness. Men are surrounded by a culture that expects them to be tough, hard, and non-emotive. Yet, men are wired to feel even though we may not show it. Being compassionate and caring is attractive because it is a change up from our cold world. Not only is it attractive but it makes a man feel more comfortable with being open and vulnerable. Subconsciously, a man knows that when his strength fails, so he needs someone to be open and vulnerable with that is caring and compassionate.

8. Patient

When a guy can tell a woman is being patient with him, he will feel more emotionally safe. Men are human, men make mistakes, and men are often slow to pick up on obvious hints; so, please be patient with us, we really appreciate it.

9. Try to Be a Positive Person

We all know that person who is really good at being positive. When positivity radiates from a person it is downright contagious and encouraging. Not only is positivity an attractive trait but it can help improve your own outlook on life.

10. Be Passionate About Something Greater Than Yourself

If a guy sees that you have a heart for the issues of the world, he will know that you are not just living for your own life. Caring about something bigger than yourself shows that your willing to form your own thoughts and make an impact on the world. A guy that cares for the world will also find this trait very attractive because he knows that your focus won’t be on personal gains but on others.

I am currently studying to get my bachelors in Communications and am minoring in Biblical Studies. I was raised in Portland Oregon and love doing outdoor activities.