This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Picture this: it’s Friday afternoon, and you’ve just got home from a busy weekday at work or school. With the weekend just around the corner, you may want to sit back on your sofa or your bed and pull up whatever is streaming right now.

Then comes the most difficult decision of your evening: what to watch.

After your busy week, you may not want to watch something action-packed with overdramatic or intense characters or storylines. With that desire in mind, here is a selection of the most relaxing films to watch for a calm weekend.

Paddington (2014)

This sweet film follows a bear searching for a home to call his own in the city of London, England. There, Paddington meets the Brown family, where he learns about adapting to a new home and being the one to bring the family closer together. Aside from the comedic shenanigans, this film brings in bright and colorful cinematography that gives viewers a much-needed giddy feeling. (Also, its sequel is a must-see as well!)

The Peanuts Movie (2015)

Based on both the comics and the short films, this animated film brings in slice-of-life vibes that are sure to melt your heart. Charlie Brown tries to impress a new girl in his class, while his dog, Snoopy, gets lost in his imagination (often ending up in ridiculous situations).

The Princess Bride (1987)

This classic flick brings viewers into a fairytale story about a young woman and her true love, a farm boy turned pirate, as they rekindle their love before she would soon be wed to the vile prince. Aside from the cute romance plot (and swooning from Wesley), the storyline contains fun adventures, friendly characters, and great scenery.

Spirited Away (2001)

From Studio Ghibli, this animated feature consists of a ten-year-old girl, named Chihiro, and her adventure in the spiritual bath house while trying to rescue her parents from the clutches of the owner. Along the way, she meets strange spirits and gains a special friend, Haku. This movie may have some action-packed scenes, though the film also carries moments of stillness.

Luca (2021)

From Pixar Animation Studios, within the Italian Rivera, we meet Luca, a timid sea creature, who dreams to explore beyond the sea. There, he meets another sea creature, Alberto, who is more adventure-seeking, and the two best friends decide to visit the town of Port Rosso, where they befriend a human girl, Julia. This film does not include a ton of conflicts, though a small friendship rivalry occurs and there is a huge marathon race against the town’s bully. This flick and its adorable characters will get you into the summer vacation vibes, and perhaps add a trip to Italy to your bucket list.

Films, especially those mentioned above, allow us to relax or are used to escape reality for a moment. Now go get some snacks and a friend, if one comes in supply, and sit down to watch a good movie.

Current undergrad student at Grand Canyon University, majoring in Digital Film: Screenwriting. I like to write, draw, do a bit of animation, and sing in my off time.