Career

Tips For Having a Successful Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

With the end of the year fast approaching, many students are thinking about their next steps, whether getting an internship or a job offer. However, interviewing for any position, whether a job or an internship, can be stressful and anxiety-inducing. American author Norman Vincent Peale once said, “Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers, you cannot be successful or happy.” Here are the top tips that you should consider for both preparing for an interview and going into an interview.

Conduct Research on the Company and the Interviewer

When offered the opportunity to have an interview, the first thing to do is conduct research on the company, and if you know who is going to interview, you research the interviewers. View the company’s website, social media, and press releases as this information can be very beneficial in gaining insight into the company and how the company operates. Other things to look into are the company’s goals and company culture, as this can help determine if the company and the position are the right fit.

Practice Interview Question Responses

There are countless resources to gain access to common interview questions. Get in front of a mirror or practice with a friend some response to some questions. The key if figure out how to effectively communicate the value you bring to the role. Consider the STAR method when answering some of the questions. The STAR method is an easy strategy to utilize in constructing responses to questions; it is comprised of stating the situation, task, action, and finally, the result. Think about examples from previous work experience that can help in evaluating your responses.

Establish Positive First Impressions

Arriving on time for an interview, whether it be in person or over a video call, is crucial in making a great first impression with the interviewer. So, it is important to either familiarize yourself with the location of the interview or the interface used for the video call before the interview takes place. Then, give yourself enough time to either travel to the interview location or set up your desk for the interview call. A simple 5 minutes late for an interview can significantly hurt your chances to get the position. So, do not underestimate the power of being on time for an interview.

Prepare a Few Questions for the Interviewer

At the end of an interview, there will always be time set aside for the interviewee to ask questions for the interviewer. Asking questions to the interviewer shares that you are interested in the position and that you have put serious thought into what it would be like to work at the company.

Working women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

Send a Thank You Email to the Interviewer

After the interview, you should consider writing an email to the interviewers. Sending an email out to these individuals shows your appreciation for the interview, your drive to go the extra mile, and restating your confidence and interest in the position.

Hi! I’m Lauryn DeGraff! I’m 21 years old and an Arizona native. I’m currently a junior majoring in business analytics with a minor in marketing! My passions reside in reading, writing, fashion, traveling, and being with my family. I’m an absolute music snob, but my first love of music lies in 90’s R&B and Hip Hop. I hope that my writing can serve as being fun, encouraging, and relatable. I look forward to meeting new people and making unforgettable memories. I’m so excited to be writing for Her Campus and to see what is to come in the future!