clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Academics

The Pressure Around Switching Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Remember when we were younger and we wanted to be princesses and pirates as adults? People would ask us if we could be anything, what would that be?

And suddenly, all the pressure hits. Everyone around us begins to grow up and make adult decisions.

Are you in college and uncertain about your major?

It is normal to feel the pressure. It is extra normal to feel like you need to have it figured out all at once. That is the pressure of the society we live in.

Switching your major once, twice or even three times is not problematic and should not be looked down upon! It shows growth and experience, as well as extra thought, put into a decision that may serve you for the rest of your life. Even if you think that your major is not important, change and development are! We change so much in middle school and high school, but it doesn’t change in college. Changing your major can be looked at as uncertain, but the truth is, it’s making sure you are certain. 

There are many factors that have an influence on who you might become going into your twenties. Friends, family, career, classes, location (living in a new place) and so much more! We get opinions, want to follow in our footsteps, keep a generation going and so on. Do not get down on yourself or feel like a failure if you change your major, even in the middle of college. Simply adjust your path and make it align with your passion, there should be no audience for this. It is important to pick a major that will set you up for the future, but even more important to make sure you are happy doing whatever it may set you up to do. There is a preconceived idea that you must make billions of dollars or be set up with the perfect career after college, however, if you aren’t happy with your job or path there is no point. The more passionate you are about what you do, the more money you will make. 

Make sure to consider a major that fits your plan but also your personality! If you are uninterested in your classes, or even what you are talking about with other friends of the same major, it may be time to question yours. There is no shame in changing your path before you are too far down it, however, there is shame in sticking with something for the approval of others. 

Pick something that will set you up with the lifestyle you want, not just financially. Something that aligns with your morals, and the way you want to do life. It is also critical to consider the time we are in and what may be useful. For example, we could obviously use more healthcare workers in a time like this.

Changing your major is not a bad thing, in fact, it is a good thing! Make sure you are set up to do what you want!

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!