This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

2022 is finally here, and so much is possible this year. One of the most common goals many people have is learning a new skill. There is beauty to learning a new skill, whether in a professional, academic or personal setting. Our father in heaven has blessed us with a bright, vibrant world to learn from and explore. Throughout the Bible, there are several times that the topic of learning is brought up. Throughout many of the books in the Bible, there is a recurring theme of goodness that comes from learning and yearning for wisdom. The book of Proverbs discusses the importance of learning quite frequently. Specifically, Proverbs 18:15 says, “Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge.” 

With that being said, there are several benefits that come with learning a new skill. The following are some of the major benefits that come from challenging yourself to learn something new.

Change in Brain Chemistry | Increases Learning Speed

Based on research conducted by the CCSU Business & Development, it was found that learning a new skill changes the density of the brain. Specifically, the white matter part of the brain called Myelin. When this part of the brain changes, it improves an individual’s performance in tackling various tasks. This research also looked at how learning a new task can stimulate the neurons in the brain. The importance of this notion is that these stimulated neurons create pathways in the brain that can travel through the brain faster. In other words, an individual can process information faster.

Boost Self-Esteem | Improve Mental Health

In today’s world, mental health is a big conversation that, as a society, has found ways to address and support those who are struggling with their mental health. However, recent surveys have also shown the value of learning a new skill improves one’s self-esteem and overall well-being. This is due to the fact that when learning a new skill, people have reported having a boost in their confidence as they are able to build a sense of purpose and, even develop relationships with others through learning the new skill. Many scientists hypothesize that the boost in self-esteem that people experience when learning a new skill is connected to working towards a goal or target. Once a person hits the targets that they have set up for themselves; it creates a feeling of accomplishment, motivating them to work more on the skill.

Finding New Passions | Opening New Doors

God works in mysterious ways, and there is no way to know what working towards a goal will lead. Just as Jeremiah 29:11 tells us, “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declared the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” You never know what might occur as you work towards accomplishing a goal or skill. It just might lead you on a journey that God wants for you and will lead you to your purpose.

Hi! I’m Lauryn DeGraff! I’m 21 years old and an Arizona native. I’m currently a junior majoring in business analytics with a minor in marketing! My passions reside in reading, writing, fashion, traveling, and being with my family. I’m an absolute music snob, but my first love of music lies in 90’s R&B and Hip Hop. I hope that my writing can serve as being fun, encouraging, and relatable. I look forward to meeting new people and making unforgettable memories. I’m so excited to be writing for Her Campus and to see what is to come in the future!