This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

We have made it to a new month! For some, the promise of graduation is closer than ever and Senioritis is kicking into full drive. However, there was a day not so long ago that seems to have been lost to me this year. Yes, I am talking about, April 1st, also known as April fools.

Over the course of my life, I have seen many pranks played on this warm day that falls at the beginning of April. Anything from cereal in the sink at school to fake phone call pranks on teachers, to the long homework assignments lists turned short. People seem to love to play harmless jokes on friends or family members. However, this had me thinking about what started this elaborate scheme of pulling a practical joke?

Apparently, the history of April fools dates all the way back to 1582, in France. Back then the new year surprisingly would start on April first. Can you imagine popping champagne and signing auld lang sign in the middle of spring? However, that is how it used to be, but in 1582 the calendar was changed from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar which then moved New Year’s Day to January first. Not everybody was told that this had happened though and unlike today they didn’t have the means to print out the calendar. So, most people went on celebrating the New Year on April first. Those who did know of the change though decided it would be funny to play jokes on those who hadn’t gotten the memo.

The people who hadn’t caught on became the butt of jokes and were called “April Fools,” because they still celebrated the new year in April. Pranks were played on these people as well, “These pranks included having paper fish placed on their backs and being referred to as “poisson d’avril” (April fish), said to symbolize a young, easily caught fish and a gullible person.”

It seems that the origins of this fun day have a darker undertone. Instead of the fun tricks that are played on people, today those in early France were mocked for not knowing the start of the new year. It’s interesting to think that civilization was so different back then. As the years progressed, mockery turned to fun and civilization realized it could be turned into something to look forward to rather than despise.

So, when you’re participating in that phone call or leaving a fish in someone’s bed just to see the shock on their face followed by the laughter, remember that is what it should be all about. Laughter. It is the purest, best, emotion, and if that is the one thing we can share in our crazy world today then I say go for it!

Information on April Fool’s Day taken from History.com

My name is Lauren Kohut and I am from Colorado Springs. I love all things written. When I am not writing, I am reading or hiking through a backwoods trail in the Colorado mountains and the Arizona foothills. I am a wannabe country girl and if I could I would spend all my Saturdays on a dirt road blasting Scotty McCreery. I love to write and am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!